Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilema...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dilema...

Well, wintertime is upon us so most of us like to take our bikes and modify them, etc. That's exactly what am doing, since I have 2 bikes I have to use my money wisely but anyway here it goes. My 2010 Iron stock wheels look ok, but they could always look better so I looked into getting a set of new white wall tires to change the look of my bike but.... I have to use stock tires, meaning that my bike will still look the same as OEM, at least that’s what the bike shop told me. So I decided to explore my options, did some Google research, pics of different Irons, different style of wheels, tires etc.

So I fell in love with the "fat boy" all solid wheels, however in order for me to used them I have to change my whole front end. EBay is where I was able to find a kit "American made" front end what will give me the clearance, etc to install fatter tires. So the kit cost almost $800, I need to powder coat the Fat Boy wheels in flat black $130 a new set of tires give or take $400 and up of course this is not including whatever other extras that I may incur not counting the cost of the "Fat Boy" wheels that can be had for around $350 or less. So my dilemma is should I just buy the stock tires “white walls” or should I just go all out and spend the money and be happy?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

A couple of factors that may influence your solid wheels.

1. They catch the wind...if you have a cross wind, they are probably going to move you sideways on the road. Even the solid ones with the little holes in them will move you around a bit.

2. If the wheels have bearings in them, they will need to be removed before powder coat. Most of the time they are ruined in the process...so you will need to get new ones.

Oh, and one other thing...I thought you wanted the most get up and go possible? Those wheels/tires weigh more and are going to make a difference in acceleration.

All that said, they can look bad-***.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A couple of factors that may influence your solid wheels.

1. They catch the wind...if you have a cross wind, they are probably going to move you sideways on the road. Even the solid ones with the little holes in them will move you around a bit.

2. If the wheels have bearings in them, they will need to be removed before powder coat. Most of the time they are ruined in the process...so you will need to get new ones.

Oh, and one other thing...I thought you wanted the most get up and go possible? Those wheels/tires weigh more and are going to make a difference in acceleration.

All that said, they can look bad-***.
Yes you are correct Kevin, more torque/more power more speed, yes yes.. However, the stock wheels just don't cut it for me, I may when the decision comes and get me either spoke wheels or whatever... Some have mention that having solid wheels can contribute to some issues... Others have not, or haven't experience it. then again, this is the internet. Just trying to change the stock look about this bike, also, money is another factor that I need to consider so I need to make a wise decision. Plus I have to order a few other goodies from you as well.. just don't want to break the bank in the process, well, at-least for now, lol...

Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Watch out for crosswinds with those Fat Boy rims. Of course, the wind never blows in Chicago, does it?

John

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM
JDstr8up
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter.....whats that?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by JDstr8up
Winter.....whats that?
Please don't rub it in...

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM
JDstr8up
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um from experience...if you do a lot of riding, the fat boy rims do exactly what's stated. Catch wind, and they are very heavy, however, being a solid wheel, you could have a really cool paint job done on them...like a trippy swirl. Damn i'm getting dizzy just thinking about it!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Red face

Posted in wrong thread...

Last edited by wachuko; 11-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Well, wintertime is upon us so most of us like to take our bikes and modify them, etc. That's exactly what am doing, since I have 2 bikes I have to use my money wisely but anyway here it goes. My 2010 Iron stock wheels look ok, but they could always look better so I looked into getting a set of new white wall tires to change the look of my bike but.... I have to use stock tires, meaning that my bike will still look the same as OEM, at least that’s what the bike shop told me. So I decided to explore my options, did some Google research, pics of different Irons, different style of wheels, tires etc.

So I fell in love with the "fat boy" all solid wheels, however in order for me to used them I have to change my whole front end. EBay is where I was able to find a kit "American made" front end what will give me the clearance, etc to install fatter tires. So the kit cost almost $800, I need to powder coat the Fat Boy wheels in flat black $130 a new set of tires give or take $400 and up of course this is not including whatever other extras that I may incur not counting the cost of the "Fat Boy" wheels that can be had for around $350 or less. So my dilemma is should I just buy the stock tires “white walls” or should I just go all out and spend the money and be happy?
I hear you... that look of solid wheels is what pulled me back to going with a Sportster... loved the looks of that bike... and the reason I got the 48 was to get the wider front... all along I was thinking... yeah! Fat Boy wheels...

Quick Reply: Dilema...