Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride with Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Ride with Windshield

Eggroll, that was a nice description of a sucker punch from a bee. How would you like to hit a SWARM on the interstate? A friend had that experience. At high speed, it just looked like some smoke ahead.

I love my windshields!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: chicksryd2

I just got a detachable windshield, and I have absolutely no plans to take it off anytime soon! Every time I hear a rock bounce off or see a bug splatter, I'm that much more grateful it's not me they're hitting. And it's very niceto not have to fight the wind from knocking me off my bikewhenever I go 70 mph.

On the height thing, I'm short enough that my field of vision is below the top edge of W/S, so there's no distortion in my view, and I don't have to adjust my posture.

Take care!
OH MY!!! Nice Picture!!!

[sm=hail.gif] [sm=loveeyes.gif] [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the height thing, I'm short enough that my field of vision is below the top edge of W/S, so there's no distortion in my view, and I don't have to adjust my posture.
Yep -- your posture looks fine. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I second this comment...MAN! Wish they all could be California [sm=happy046.gif]

ORIGINAL: Splatter

Yep -- your posture looks fine. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
marcss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD quick-detach on my '06 WG and love it. Probably won't take it off. It has a trim, sporty look, and almost invisible- very little metal. I hit a swarm of bee's on my "other" bike a long time ago and had to stopREALLY fast because a few of those suckers got inside my full-face shielded helmet!! Don't know how I didn't get stung!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Chicks is hot! I love riding in the wind!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Tiggy
Cruiser

Had one for years and wouldn't be without a windshield now. Some luv em. Some hate em.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Zattaltin
Cruiser

I agree with you on the highway thing. I have been thinking about getting one but I haven't yet, I have other priorities. I tell you one thing that is interesting though is riding without one at 100 mph. Definitely fun.

Oh and where can I find someone like chicksryd2 in my area? YOWZA.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM
alexcue
Road Master

I have the windshield with the cut outs for the passing lamps. I used it for a bit, but didn't like the buffeting i was getting with the higher speeds.

I did like the more relaxed feeling it gave me, but the look isn't my speed. It's tucked away now in the windshield bag. The Sporty is a twisties and mild weather commuter now.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Last weekend I took an extended ride over to the Smoky Mountains. (See Ride Report from The Dragon) That was my first trip since I got the quick detach w/s. I loved it on the 200 mile ride over. Average speed was around 75mph. I didn't have an issue with my elbow, which had become quite a problem, and there was no fatigue factor. When I got to my buddies place, I was totally fresh and ready to go ride in the Mountains. However, the first thing I did, was take the w/s off. It stayed in his kitchen/garage until I packed up for my return trip. I highly doubt I'll ever use it around town, and on short trips in the area, but for interstate trips of more than 50 miles or so, it will be on there.

Quick Reply: First Ride with Windshield