Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride with Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First Ride with Windshield

jterp,

I think it all depends on the persons hgt. and the windshield (compact sport or std. hgt.). The correct hgt. will be one that allows you when sitting in a normal riding position to see over it (windshield being about mouth or nose hgt.). I have a std. hgt. detacheable on mine and when sitting up straight it is about as high as my nose.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I'm spoiled. I can't imagine riding any distance without one.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good info to know. Itso happens I just picked one up on ebay. Mostly plan to use it for long distance riding at highway speeds. Holding on to the bike at 80 mph for long distances has caused some MAJOR issues with my left elbow. I sure hope the windshield helps with that!

I'm sure it would have been helpful in the cold weather also...I'll find out about that next year. Looks like spring has arrived in Middle TN wooooohooooooo

Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jterp

I agree with most people here -- bike looks better without it but it cuts the wind a great deal and makes it easier to ride in cool weather.

That said, do you guys find that the top of the windshield is right in your sight line ? I find myself crouching down lower than usual on the bike to look under the top of the windshield.
Mine was like that, so I cut off 1-1/2" from the top, then used the cut off piece as a guide/template for trimming the remaining windshield to agood below-sightline height. Am told they can do that at the dealership as well, but I didn't want to spend the money on them.
It's now down below the eyeline and still keeps me out of the buffeting zone.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
bospider01
Cruiser

I agree with most people here -- bike looks better without it but it cuts the wind a great deal and makes it easier to ride in cool weather.

That said, do you guys find that the top of the windshield is right in your sight line ? I find myself crouching down lower than usual on the bike to look under the top of the windshield.
its right there for me as well. im 6' and its bugs me to death. i end up slouching and leaning back a little...

Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Quick Detatch windshield, so I have a few inches of choice on where to set the top of the windshield. I usually set it so I have to sit up straight to see over it. That way my posture is right to ride out the New England frost heaves.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that I have to slouch a bit, or sit up real straight.

I will try to adjust it down a little, right now there is alot of gravel on the streets, as soon as that is picked up I will remove the w/s. I do like it tho.

Tom

Old 03-13-2007, 11:51 PM
SilverDragon
Cruiser

windsheilds are GREAT when it rains

Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 AM
chicksryd2
Intermediate

I just got a detachable windshield, and I have absolutely no plans to take it off anytime soon! Every time I hear a rock bounce off or see a bug splatter, I'm that much more grateful it's not me they're hitting. And it's very niceto not have to fight the wind from knocking me off my bikewhenever I go 70 mph.

On the height thing, I'm short enough that my field of vision is below the top edge of W/S, so there's no distortion in my view, and I don't have to adjust my posture.

Take care!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Every time I get back from a ride and look at the collection of bug guts on my weenie-shield, I'm glad I have it! I never take mine off anymore.

Quick Reply: First Ride with Windshield