Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Winter Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Fan 33
Roni, Many of us don't have the year round riding conditions and it is inevitable that the below zero and white crap will come and stay for many weeks. I envy you guys that can ride all year round.
Well, maybe you could fire up the bike and ride it from one end of the garage to the other several dozen times.

I have to ask, when the white crap cometh, does it stayeth for weeks on end? Here, when it snows, the roads are generally unsafe for a few days and then they're passable. I'll usually wait until there's lots of dry surface because, like most others, I really dislike the salt water spray coming off of treated roads. But, again, that's usually only a problem for a few days.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
littledragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sits in an unheated shed during the winter. I do start it each week and if there is no snow on the roads I ride it at least once a week. Don't think I have ever put one to bed for a long winters sleep. Living in Mo. we usually have several days each winter when even though the temps are below freezing the roads can be navigated. Now keeping warm is another story.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Chicago Fan 33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it stays for the whole winter if the temps go below zero. They put so much salt down that you have to wait for big rains in March,April to wash it away...

Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
You guys got it worse up there in Cleveland with the lake effect. I rarely have to take more than a couple weeks off from riding down here in Columbus.
Yeah I've seen it go from 65F to blizzard conditions in NW Ohio in the same week lol...

Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Salt doesn't concern me as much as SAND when going out when you get those strange warm days in the winter. Last year we had a few 50 deg days in January. I'll wait untill April before I get bike back out. Thanks for sharing the storage ideas. Other than using stabil, as seafoam works better from my experience than stabil.Also I will not run ethanol through my bike or any small engines, and I have had no fuel issues in the spring. First year to be storing my bike. Pondering the fogging oil but will do most of what you said.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 AM
Phil from Barrington
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm taking delivery of a brand new '14 Street Glide tomorrow, 1/29. Unfortunately, I live in NH and my garage is not heated. I'll be storing it in my basement starting next Winter, as I can't get to the door right now, too much white **** in the way. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do till Spring arrives? (April for me). I WILL be attaching a tender, and will also add Stabil and throw a sheet over it. Other than that what else can be done to a brand new machine?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil from Barrington
I'm taking delivery of a brand new '14 Street Glide tomorrow, 1/29. Unfortunately, I live in NH and my garage is not heated. I'll be storing it in my basement starting next Winter, as I can't get to the door right now, too much white **** in the way. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do till Spring arrives? (April for me). I WILL be attaching a tender, and will also add Stabil and throw a sheet over it. Other than that what else can be done to a brand new machine?
That is all you need to do.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Sit on it and go "VROOM VROOM"

Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Phil from Barrington
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rog48
Sit on it and go "VROOM VROOM"
I was already planning on doing that....LOL!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil from Barrington

I’m in Wisconsin and my Sporty is stored in an unheated storage unit along with my motorhome. Ran it with Stabil before parking it, plugged in the battery minder and threw a sheet over it. I’m confident all will be well in spring. I do check on my toys weekly during the storage period.

Quick Reply: My Winter Storage Tips