Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM
jimlowe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension question

Have ordered a set of Hagon Nitros,in an attempt to improve on the stock setup which in my opinion isn't much better than a hardtail.After a long conversation with Dave the Harley expert at Hagon UK,he advised that I go for the 13" versions as in his opinion the fundamental problem with the standard 12" shocks is there is insufficient travel.I have taken his advice,but now to my question:I really like the riding position with the 12" shocks as I can get my feet flat on the floor and knees slightly bent when at a standstill,while I have owned many bikes in the past with a higher seat than the 13" shocks will give me and managed fine,I much prefer the parked position the 12" ones give me.I am thinking of fitting 1" lowering blocks with new Hagons but will this negate the superior ride quality of them,I dont think it will as effectively I am moving the bottom of the shock 1" back and not shortening it,has anyone experience of this combination,am reluctant to go ahead and buy the blocks as it seems I can only source them from the US and the shipping costs as much as the blocks,any advice gratefully received

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

I would only be a little concerned about the difference in how the suspension works....probably much written about the effect of the geometry change.....FWIW.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

You're better off just getting the 12" shocks than putting lowering blocks on a 13" shock.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
jimlowe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
You're better off just getting the 12" shocks than putting lowering blocks on a 13" shock.
that's the point was trying to make,fitting lowering blocks wont make the shocks 1" shorter they move them back an inch not down!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM
oh_yeah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing the 12 inch shock in the stock mounting position with a 13 inch shock re-mounted one inch to the rear will add about 1/2 inch to the seat height.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim, I went straight from 11.75" stock shocks to 13.5" Progressive 440s with no issues at all. Using the lowereng blocks puts the lower shock pivot point behind the axle amking for some choppiness on small bumps. Each extra inch of shock will raise the bike half that + or - a little. When I installed the Progressive Fork Springs it raised the front .75" so I recon the actual geometry didn't change much. These changes made my bike what it should have been in the first place.

Attached Thumbnails Suspension question-harley-under-lights-003-small-.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I just want to add a disclaimer here, I 100% do NOT endorse lowering blocks. They go against what every suspension company sets out to do and what your bike is designed for. They truly are the broke man's solution to lowering a bike. Unless you are literally at ends meet, please stay away from lowering blocks.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 AM
jimlowe
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimlowe
Have ordered a set of Hagon Nitros,in an attempt to improve on the stock setup which in my opinion isn't much better than a hardtail.After a long conversation with Dave the Harley expert at Hagon UK,he advised that I go for the 13" versions as in his opinion the fundamental problem with the standard 12" shocks is there is insufficient travel.I have taken his advice,but now to my question:I really like the riding position with the 12" shocks as I can get my feet flat on the floor and knees slightly bent when at a standstill,while I have owned many bikes in the past with a higher seat than the 13" shocks will give me and managed fine,I much prefer the parked position the 12" ones give me.I am thinking of fitting 1" lowering blocks with new Hagons but will this negate the superior ride quality of them,I dont think it will as effectively I am moving the bottom of the shock 1" back and not shortening it,has anyone experience of this combination,am reluctant to go ahead and buy the blocks as it seems I can only source them from the US and the shipping costs as much as the blocks,any advice gratefully received
Jim, you are at risk of making a mountain out of this molehill! One of the reasons Hagon recommend a longer version of their shocks than stock length is because they have longer travel. That means the compressed length of a Hagon is shorter than the compressed length of a stock shock. If you use lowering blocks you put at risk moving parts of your bike hitting fixed parts of it, so don't do it, there's a good chap!

Don't buy lowering blocks, full stop!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
jimlowe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Jim, you are at risk of making a mountain out of this molehill! One of the reasons Hagon recommend a longer version of their shocks than stock length is because they have longer travel. That means the compressed length of a Hagon is shorter than the compressed length of a stock shock. If you use lowering blocks you put at risk moving parts of your bike hitting fixed parts of it, so don't do it, there's a good chap!

Don't buy lowering blocks, full stop!
Cheers old bean,you are probably right

Quick Reply: Suspension question