Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster extra plate clutch kit writeup

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

I'm not using a new Primary Gasket because this is the fourth time the cover will have been off to my knowledge and it doesn't even seep.
Probably testament to good fitting parts with flat faces and you doing up the screws properly.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:51 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Probably testament to good fitting parts with flat faces and you doing up the s.
Thanks . It's all going together nicely by the way . The second hand clutch is almost the equivalent of one plate taller than my old one and , as I mentioned , it looks hardly used . The Alto Spring Plate with stainless rivets arrived on time so that's going in in a minute .

Old 06-18-2022, 10:58 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Did you check with the manual on the pack thickness? Maybe you current one (coming out) is badly worn? Just as important have you checked the plates going in are properly flat?

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-18-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Did you check with the manual on the pack thickness? Maybe you current one (coming out) is badly worn? Just as important have you checked the plates going in are properly flat?
That was my point , the one coming out is very badly worn . The one going in looks like new . I'm not a great one for measuring things but I do have an eye for detail and a certain feel for these things but I won't know how good it is until it stops raining .

Old 06-23-2022, 05:07 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Been out and ridden the bike with my ( Nearly ) new plates and Alto Spring Plate . This is the style ! I've got my bike back again . Now I can yank on that throttle and pile on the power and revs . It's even improved the handling if that can be believed . Marvelous !

Old 09-24-2023, 07:59 PM
Ace883
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '15 Iron XL883N

I just recently got the screaming eagle performance 9 plate clutch kit..... and wow it's like it's a whole new bike, 3x as snappy.. wish I would have gotten rid of the stock clutch long ago

Old 10-28-2023, 12:47 PM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Yep , that makes perfect sense to me . Cheers. Just waiting for my Alto Spring Plate to arrive now . It's stiflingly hot in the UK today but it's going to rain tomorrow . I'm really looking forward to a day with the spanners . The oil is already drained , think I'll go and crack off all the bolts this evening before I put the bike up on the jack . I'm not using a new Primary Gasket because this is the fourth time the cover will have been off to my knowledge and it doesn't even seep .

There was a negative review left on Amazon because the guy received a *** 7200-B-XL-TVP when he had ordered a *** 7200B-TVP. They are the same bearing, except for the XL meaning "extended life", whatever that means, could be a genuine upgrade or just marketing hype?

Last edited by snatchcat; 10-28-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:58 PM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace883
I just recently got the screaming eagle performance 9 plate clutch kit..... and wow it's like it's a whole new bike, 3x as snappy.. wish I would have gotten rid of the stock clutch long ago
What I'll be installing in my 48 soon because I don't like a dragging clutch. That spring plate is always applying a small amount of pressure to the clutch pack even when the clutch diaphragm spring is fully compressed. That's the whole idea behind it!. I don't know why?.. My best guess is that it keeps the clutch quieter than it otherwise would be??.. It does not do anything to enhance shifting or to make changing gears faster!!

Old 06-17-2024, 07:11 AM
Crow48
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice write up! Between this & the video by Hammer Performance it was easy. I bought the kit from Energy One with the tool & the spring. Clutch feels about stock on effort but in the short test ride already felt stronger on engagement. I used the Formula + fluid from HD since that is what was recommended. It took me a little longer then I had thought it might but a big part of that was making sure everything was spotlessly clean when I put it back. I also used the full gasket kit from James Gaskets, which worked great. My clutch looked fine & so did the grenade plate @ only 7729 miles but I figured you never know until you have it apart & that point might as well upgrade since its the same labor.

Old 06-20-2024, 06:39 PM
hogpipes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich B.
My "48" just turned 13k miles when I installed my E1 clutch. That was about a month ago and I've ridden 600 miles since. I had a few surprises along the way like when I pulled the primary cover off. For the last 5k miles I had been using Redline, 80wt. Synthetic, Motorcycle Gear Oil w/Shockproof. This greenish color oil is the oil recommended by RedLine on their website for use in Sportster primary/transmission cases. What I initially noticed was a build-up of green mud on the outer diameters of the clutch basket, ring gear and starter gear. OMG! Removing it was like scraping off wet sheetrock. The clutch plates themselves showed a minor glazing. I decided to disassemble the primary drive further by removing the stator, primary chain and clutch hub. The entire area inside the stator was gooped up with this green mud as was the inner clutch basket and the clutch basket bearing. After seeing this mess I am totally done with that oil! I replaced the hub bearing and the primary chain then cleaned and reassembled everything using new snap rings and clips, soaking the clutch plates and refilling the case with non-synthetic, 10-40wt Valvoline Motorcycle Oil for use with wet clutches. I ran the bike 100 miles then dumped the oil, refilling with a fresh qt of Valvoline. Yes, the oil I dumped the second time, with only 100 miles on it, was still green in color even though the Valvoline is a pure liquid gold.
Anyway...the rest of the install was straight forward and the E1 clutch has been performing flawlessly. Clutch engagement is noticeably smoother than the stock clutch and the lever pull feels about the same. All in all...a great upgrade...highly recommended!
Red line 80wt. is a gear oil,can't see how they can recommend that for a clutch. Any 10-40 oil would be better .

Quick Reply: sportster extra plate clutch kit writeup