Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on sportster tour trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want a tour pack, why don't you get a real touring bike??? Many options out there, nice Street Glides, etc etc

Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
If you want a tour pack, why don't you get a real touring bike??? Many options out there, nice Street Glides, etc etc

Not interested in a "real" touring bike. I love my sportster. I just thought it might be a good thing to lock my helmet in, after having my helmet stolen one day while I went into a store.

I now carry my helmet in with me but it would be nice if I could just keep it with the mc and not worry about being stolen again.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM
tgrey
Advanced

My learner bike (Honda Rebel) had a helmet lock similar to this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/1320206

I don't know if it was factory or aftermarket, but it was even keyed with the ignition/fork lock key, which was rather convenient. I'd like one on my new bike, just haven't taken time to figure out where to mount it.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Cheapest helmet security you can get is a trigger lock from walmart, costs about 5 bucks.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

A friend gave me good advice on locking the helmet. Use a small lock and get the least expensive DOT helmet you can find. I found a full-face Bilt(house brand) on sale at cyclegear for $49. If someone needs it enough to cut the strap they can have it. I use other helmets for daily riding or x-country, but the Bilt works fine for airport parking and such.

I agree about moving the wait forward and lower. Get some saddle bag guards (keep the bags out of the back wheel) and mount bigger bags lower. I use a HD bag on the back, but I also have an expandable leather bag from Carroll Luggage (Milwaukee, Interstate) that can ride on a luggage rack.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...road-pack.html

On sale for $80 through 11/3

Th HD is structured and is always the same shape, the Carroll pack is unstructured leather and can be strapped down tight. I have both, I could use the Road pack and not miss the HD.

bad news, I was wrong- it is called a Carroll Biker Road Pack. Good news, looks like i'm a Carroll Luggage endorsed Biker.

Here is a pic of last years trip home from CA, fully loaded bike at gas stop in Alexandria Louisiana. Weight low and forward.

And here is a pic of too much sh*t on a sportster starting west on 66. Biker Pack riding on the passenger seat.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 AM
samhallnc
Road Master

Damn Kokemill, were you moving? I go on week long camping trips on the sporty and have never needed that much storage!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kokemill
A friend gave me good advice on locking the helmet. Use a small lock and get the least expensive DOT helmet you can find. I found a full-face Bilt(house brand) on sale at cyclegear for $49. If someone needs it enough to cut the strap they can have it. I use other helmets for daily riding or x-country, but the Bilt works fine for airport parking and such.

I agree about moving the wait forward and lower. Get some saddle bag guards (keep the bags out of the back wheel) and mount bigger bags lower. I use a HD bag on the back, but I also have an expandable leather bag from Carroll Luggage (Milwaukee, Interstate) that can ride on a luggage rack.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...road-pack.html

On sale for $80 through 11/3

Th HD is structured and is always the same shape, the Carroll pack is unstructured leather and can be strapped down tight. I have both, I could use the Road pack and not miss the HD.

bad news, I was wrong- it is called a Carroll Biker Road Pack. Good news, looks like i'm a Carroll Luggage endorsed Biker.

Here is a pic of last years trip home from CA, fully loaded bike at gas stop in Alexandria Louisiana. Weight low and forward.

And here is a pic of too much sh*t on a sportster starting west on 66. Biker Pack riding on the passenger seat.
I been looking for saddle bag supports but can not find any that will work with a detachable back rest

Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I can think of 2 options

Originally Posted by jeff6898
I been looking for saddle bag supports but can not find any that will work with a detachable back rest
2options, first is the way I solved it on my Dyna - attach the bags supports (and in my case bags) to the detachable rack. Pics here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...addlebags.html

Second, I think you could attach the supports to the detachable mounting points using longer grade 8 bolts. I have the detachable system on the Dyna, I'm not sure if the Sporty works the same. The Dyna one has a slot on the forward end and a cam lock at the rear. Neither would interfere with anything outboard centered on the bolt hole. I met Kirk at http://www.sportyparts.com/ , when I was in LA. You can download their catalog that has at least a dozen different support configurations. Make sure to look for something that angles back far enough at the front to clear the bottom of the shock. The disadvantage of this option is that it leaves the supports on the bike if you take off the bags.

I think the only way I made it to LA with all that weight up high is that between I55, I44 and I40 the first real curve headed west is in the Cajun Pass.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff6898
I was looking for opinions of what people thought of putting a touring trunk on a sportster. At the moment I have big saddle bags on that to me do not look that good but would like something I could store items in including my helmet.
I found this made to fit a sportster

Here is what I have on now

I ran the Mutza Tour-Pak with a wrap around backrest and a luggage rack on it for over 50k miles on my Road King. Never had a single problem, we loaded the TP full, used the rack on top of the TP regularly, and my wife was comfortable and secure with it.

I did put a galvanized plate on the inside and outside bottom to give it a solid mounting surface and some rigidity.

I found it to be as durable as the HD TP's.

This was 7 years ago...can't tell you if they make them better or cheaper these days.

When I ride the Sporty and know I am going to want to leave helmet and/or jacket...I have a cable lock...just slip it thru the sleeve of the jacket and thru the helmet and somewhere on the bike. Done.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-03-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
samhallnc
Road Master

Holds three 12 packs, quick detachable, and a backrest for the interstate, thanks for the hookup HarleyScuba.

Quick Reply: Opinions on sportster tour trunk