Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Sportster will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the 12.7 with the charger on, unplug the charger and let it sit for a while then check it.
That it take it to be checked
Have you cleaned the cable conections

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 10-28-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiian Guy
Like cars you have to replace battery every couple of years.
Batteries don't need replacing every couple years, but do need to be replaced when they start acting up/not acting proper. My original battery lasted 10 & 1/2 to 11 years, and got replaced then when it started giving me slow starts...And that was without using a tender....Only on my second battery in this '00 sporty.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Sportster330
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It must have a slow drain, just checked it this morning and it's at 12.1-12.2

But the starter engages I believe. This video is what it sounds like when I try to start it, not my bike but it is the sound it makes.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportster330
It must have a slow drain, just checked it this morning and it's at 12.1-12.2
Ok the in the video the bike is cranking slow to good, but not firing.
If your bike is cranking this good it should start, if everything is good.
Charge the battery up and unhook the cable let it sit and see if it stays at 12.7 overnight.
If it has a dead cell it will discharge itself.
That or take it and have it checked at any discount.
Have you checked your fuses yet? Have you cleaned the cables yet?
Bike running and stops we need to figure out if it is electrical or gas. Have you checked to see if you have spark?
pull a plug and put on the wire hold the plug to the block, see if you have spark.
Check to see if you have gas, pull the air cleaner, twist the throttle see of it sprays gas into the body.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Ok the in the video the bike is cranking slow to good, but not firing.
If your bike is cranking this good it should start, if everything is good.
Charge the battery up and unhook the cable let it sit and see if it stays at 12.7 overnight.
If it has a dead cell it will discharge itself.
That or take it and have it checked at any discount.
Have you checked your fuses yet? Have you cleaned the cables yet?
Bike running and stops we need to figure out if it is electrical or gas. Have you checked to see if you have spark?
pull a plug and put on the wire hold the plug to the block, see if you have spark.
Check to see if you have gas, pull the air cleaner, twist the throttle see of it sprays gas into the body.
+1 on what he said......But I'm also thinking you should check your vacuum hoses for cracking/dry rought. Mine did the exact same thing that you described.....I was doing 70mph on the highway and all of a sudden I got coughing/chugging and then nothing with no refiring after coasting to the side of the road. Found a crack in the vacuum line coming from the line splitter just above/behind the carb to the line that leads over to the backside of the petcock. Replaced that and she fired right back up after a few twists of the throttle while hitting the start button.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Sportster330
Intermediate

So I haven't had the bike all winter been in storage. I just got it back today and the battery still has a full charge. I took the tank off and checked all the vacuum lines. The vacuum line that goes from under the right side of the tank to the frame was disconnected. I connected that line and tried starting it, still won't start but now I get a small spudder. Before there was no spudder at all just the starter cranking.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

How many times did you crank it over? Did you try giving it a couple shots of the throttle?

My '02 1200 came out of storage yesterday - been sitting since late November. Took it out, turned on fuel petcock and let it sit a couple minutes. Hit the starter and let it turn over 3 or 4 times at a whack. Needed about 5 cycles of 3-4 turnovers before she started coughing. Hit the throttle a couple times to about half throttle. after about 3 more cycles on the starter (3-4 turnovers each cycle) she came to life. Choke full-on through this whole process. needed a couple light throttle bumps to keep running initially. After that, ran just like usual.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Sportster330
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
How many times did you crank it over? Did you try giving it a couple shots of the throttle?

My '02 1200 came out of storage yesterday - been sitting since late November. Took it out, turned on fuel petcock and let it sit a couple minutes. Hit the starter and let it turn over 3 or 4 times at a whack. Needed about 5 cycles of 3-4 turnovers before she started coughing. Hit the throttle a couple times to about half throttle. after about 3 more cycles on the starter (3-4 turnovers each cycle) she came to life. Choke full-on through this whole process. needed a couple light throttle bumps to keep running initially. After that, ran just like usual.
I tried about 10 times, after the 5th or 6th it started to sputter. I just tried hitting the throttle halfway while starting, still nothing but one little sputter in the beginning.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Sportster330
Intermediate

I have checked everything I can think of. It is getting spark and it sputters once so I assume it is getting fuel. All vacuum hoses are connected and in good shape. Could it be one of the sensors?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Just saw a thread over on XLF with some good info. But based on similar user names I'm guessing it might be you over there. Just in case it isn't:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1748679

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportster will not start