Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades for Iron?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrades for Iron?

Looks like I'll be going to denim black Iron 883 route for my first Harley.

Everybody tells me to upgrade the pipes and possibly get some apes ASAP. I want to keep it as blacked out as possible. Looking at the V&H Big Radius for pipes, but open to suggestions. Wish they had the 2-into-1 Big Radius for Sporties, I like that look, but the 2 into 2's look pretty sweet as well.

Will want to upgrade to a 1200 kit by next winter at the latest, should I just go with the Screaming Eagle (I think) the dealership has, or go a different route?

Plan on some 2-up riding, but not at first, won't worry about the seat for a few months. Which direction should I go with those?

Thanks all

Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87

Everybody tells me to upgrade the pipes and possibly get some apes ASAP. I want to keep it as blacked out as possible. Looking at the V&H Big Radius for pipes, but open to suggestions. Wish they had the 2-into-1 Big Radius for Sporties, I like that look, but the 2 into 2's look pretty sweet as well.

Will want to upgrade to a 1200 kit by next winter at the latest, should I just go with the Screaming Eagle (I think) the dealership has, or go a different route?

Plan on some 2-up riding, but not at first, won't worry about the seat for a few months. Which direction should I go with those?

Thanks all
Congrats on your first Harley!

Check out this link before you spend $ on handlebars...best to do it only once.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other...andlebars.html

On pipes there are so many choices...another choice is to design your own look and have a local welding shop weld them up for you and then get them powdercoated black.

You'll get much better bang for your buck going with a NRHS 1250 Conversion.

Click HERE for more details.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost made the Iron my first bike but got my super glide instead. Always thought the iron was a great looking bike. Congrats!

If I had one I'd probably put on the short shots with the black heat shields, some drag bars, forward controls, remove all the reflectors, maybe go as far as bobbing the rear fender, of course a new breather

Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, thanks guys.

How is the Rallyrunner seat?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Okay, thanks guys.

How is the Rallyrunner seat?
For two-up most folks go with the Sundowner seat. I ran that on mine for a few years...was comfortable for both myself and passenger.

The step up, for many people, from that is the Mustang.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Scorpza
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your first Harley.

Do some homework before you start with your mods. Best is to only have to buy once.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,679 Likes on 6,676 Posts

Read up on the Wiseco 883 to 1200 conversions.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks all

You can't go wrong w the Iron, at ALL! I have the SE1200 kit installed on mine, but that's because the previous owner had it done by the dealer, along w Wood cams, etc. Good running bike but if it was me I would of done a 1250 kit for sure... So in the future, make sure you get a 1250 Kit, you won't regret it... Also, consider using a nice cam for your setup. Many options to choose from depending on your needs. NHRS, I think thats the place, is the go guys for the Sporty... Check them out! Many, many options available...

Good luck and congrats~!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:56 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpza
Congrats on your first Harley.

Do some homework before you start with your mods. Best is to only have to buy once.
Best advice..It's better to take your time and look around as there are many ways to go with every application, you will save yourself B I G dollars in the long run.

Note: if you use the "Search" on this forum you can type in Seats or Pipes or whatever you may be looking for as I'm sure there has been many others looking for the same things- Good Luck

Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Keep your wallet in your pocket and ride your new bike before you start modifying it. There's no rush and there are tons of things you can do, so take your time, above all else it's a bike designed to move you from place to place and for adventures.

Quick Reply: Upgrades for Iron?