Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Newbie Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Vinny132
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few Newbie Questions.

Hey All,

Being a fairly new rider I have a few Questions..I do alot of long distance..How much of a differance does a windshield Make?

How many miles before an oil change..I don't really like harleys maintenance plan.seems oil changes are to far apart.

Last question is about the rear brake..When I first got the bike last season I was basicly learning..So I didn't really use the rear brake because I was just getting used to clutching and shifting..Now I got that down pat but I added highway pegs..So I always have my right foot on the highway peg.The rear brake is by the mid peg still..So I got into the bad habbit of not using it again..My left foot stays on the mid control for the clutch in Stop and go driving and sometimes even on a long hall.It feels better to have the right foot on the highway peg and the left foot on the mid peg for me..Question is..I was told to only use the rear brake to slow down or as a trailing brake in use with the front..But is it bad to use just the front..I fear i will get so used to it that come a bad situation I will not even think to use the rear

Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM
04XL1200C
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A few Newbie Questions.

I don't have and never will have a windshield but that is my personal preference. I ride anywhere from 10 - 15 hr rides. A windshield would stop the bugs and rain from hitting me somewhat and also eliminate the wind buffeting.
Oil changes can be done as often as you would like. The maintenance schedule is just a guide but I would not go past the recommended mileage.
I use both brakes together most of the time. It's a habit that I got into years ago.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

To answer your last question first, you sound and look like a prime candidate forforward controls. There are kits available to move your mid controls forward as on a Custom. Using the front brake only is not a wise practice. Have you taken an MSF course?

Oil changes per Harly are fine although I changed mine at 500 miles and again at 1000. I along with many people here recommend synthetic oil such as Moblle One 15-50 extended (gold cap on the jug) or Amzoil.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats up Vinny I wouldn't get used to using only the front brake that could be bad around turns that front brake will bring you right down I always try and use both.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also not big on face deflectors. Forward controls are great.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Igot my shield for the Long haul interstate rides for the PGR and such during cold weather. Since then it has been off only once!
Oil changes are something that is not set in stone, changing to often is actually not a good thing to do. If you follow th eFactory recs you cannot go wrong.
Believe me when I say this, your braking should be on average about 60% front 40% rear, get used to using that rear brake, funny, most new riders are front brake scarred and use the rear for the most part. The advice about using the front in turns or corners is right on, better learn to cover the brakes and get them feet in postion, when in traffic or approaching intersections. Just my .02

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
King Kong Sportster
Advanced

Hey vinnie, Im in the same boat you were in last year. Im a new rider as well. Bought my bike brand new with a quick detach windshield. I thought I would need it for stuff like bugs, rain, wind etc. I had no real intentions of putting it on unless I needed it. However when it was delivered to me the windshield was already on. I thought, hellit dont look to bad.Never took it off. Been ridding with it since. I use both brakes to slow down and stop. Just a habbit I picked up in the msf course. I do have mid controls thou.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
brauny1
Road Master

I'll add my $.02,
Winshields... they don't call 'em a 'shield' for nothing, especially if your planning on long trips. Good for wind buffering, ease ride fatigue; good for flying hazards such as bugs, birds, rocks, etc.; bad weather condition, rain, hail, cold. I wouldn't be without one on my scoot.
Oil changes... Follow the factory service manual, they know what their talking about. Of course, more frequent changes won't hurt.
Brakes... The MFS course and several books, esp.'Ride with the Pro's' are very educational and a very important part of your riding safety. The front brake can be up to 100% of your stopping capability under extreme conditions so learn to practice using itregularly. I do my best to coordinate between all 4's, front/back/clutch/shift when stopping. With practice it becomes second nature.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Windshield $.02 Get a detachable model. They go on / off in literally seconds. line it up, pushit on or pull it off. really that easy. So when the mood or the weather suits you can be with or without. Minimal docking hardware on bike when off. As for the oil changes I was told reg oil moreoften 2000-3000 is not uncommonsynthetic 5,000. Brakes are covered above, use them together with the front doing 60-70% of the stopping.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure a windshield helps but dam it looks spazz on a sportster.I change my oil every two thousand miles.You have to learn how to apply both brakes when stopping. Useing just one brake could throw the whole bike outta whak.I did the opposite only used the rear, was told the tale of being slingshotted over the handelbars if I applyed the front to hard.I still favor the rear but im learning to use them in conjunction with each other.Takes practice.

Quick Reply: A few Newbie Questions.