Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Newbie Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
jsned
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A few Newbie Questions.

Second the quick detach windsheild. Mine is the factory HD one, works excellent and is just the right size. Does protect good but isnt to big for the smaller Sportster look. Forward controls are a must.

Borrow a cheap ol dirtbike or buy one. Find a big dirt feild or some trails and learn to ride a motorcycle. This is advice I tell anyone who never reallyowned a bike and is wanting to get into street riding. You will learn more by sliding that thing around in the dirt than you ever will on the street because to know what limits a motorcycle has and to get the feel when things are going to go bad you have to push it past the limits and fall on your *** which would get real painfull and expensive on a streetbike.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Vinny132
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey jsned,

I was thinking of doing that. My buddy has a few dirt bikes and he wants me to go out and ride with him.I'm just not sure my 40 year old bones can handle the beating..LOL.But I'm gunna go and push it to my limits..I will be going to tramas MFSriding course here in NY come May..So I should be ready to go between the two..

I was already thinking of the detachable glass..I guess that is the best of both worlds..

And I will retrain my rear braking into my riding..

Thanks for the tips All..

Vinny

Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 AM
seikan1
Road Warrior

I have a quick detach windshield. It is great for the interstate. It helps keeping you from feeling like you are getting blown off of the back of the bike. Also....it is no fun to catch a good size bug or a clot of dirt or rock in the face or throat at 70mph. I recommend the quick detach windshield. Around town I take mine off. When I am going to be getting on the interstate I pop it back on. It takes all of about 30 seconds.

Brake deal...if you use the front brake too much, you will eat it and tear your bike up in a slow turn. Use your rear more. Even though the front can have more stopping force, get used to using them both. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 AM
eggroll
Road Master

I know you already decided for the shield, but I still gotta tell ya that you'll be glad you did when you nail a bird at 60+. Leaves a hell of a smear, though.[:'(]

Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I for one would probably not own a bike without a windshield. I think they're great.

Oil change? I personally don't try to outguess the manufacturer. I figure they are smarter than I am and follow their recommendations for oil changes.

Brakes. Get your butt to an MSF class. You're developing some real bad habits you should try and break NOW. I use both brakes together all the time except for two conditions. One is if I come into a corner a little too fast and want to shave off just a little speed. I will gently feather my rear brake. The other is at slow speeds (parking lots for example) where you are physically turning the front wheel. If you should accidentaly lock up your front wheel in situations like that you will go down. I just use the rear brake when making slow maneuvers.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM
SilverDragon
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: RICHE

Im sure a windshield helps but dam it looks spazz on a sportster.I change my oil every two thousand miles.You have to learn how to apply both brakes when stopping. Useing just one brake could throw the whole bike outta whak.I did the opposite only used the rear, was told the tale of being slingshotted over the handelbars if I applyed the front to hard.I still favor the rear but im learning to use them in conjunction with each other.Takes practice.
i got the 'sporty' style one from teh dealer .... no 'police' type chrome 'TT'

Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 PM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey dragon you have any pictures of the sporty style windshield?

[IMG]local://upfiles/23996/063AE1F1C1C2458290CED3FB0FFEC697.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You look great on your scoot Vinny. Just ride and have fun. Most like the shields riding long distance. I don't.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If you want to pretend your Tom Cruise, Peter Fondaor Clint Eastwood from 20+ years ago don't get a windshield. On the other hand if you want to enjoy a comfortable highway ride go for it. Sooner or later we all mature

Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 AM
smackie94
Intermediate

I dont like the windshield personally. i like the buffeting and what not...makes me feel like i am riding. only time that thought process ever changed was after taking a dragon fly to the forehead at 95mph. dang near took me off the bike.

seriously though..cant go wrong with a detachable....i know with some of the older (03 and earlier...not sure about the 04-up but i magine it would be the same) the quick detach hardware can be used with more then one windshield and the quarterfairing...gives mucho felxibility

Quick Reply: A few Newbie Questions.