Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably trashed my bike... opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Default Probably trashed my bike... opinions wanted

oil... none in bike.. MIA

I moved to florida and i guesss the heat has been cooking the oil right out of my bike.

I have been riding around all summer and hadn't gotten anywhere near 3000 miles so, i was not even worried about oil.

yesterday i was out riding and i kept hearing a ringing/ pinging noise... I thought it was my keys vibrating they've done that before but, suddenly i had a flash of "WTF". i realized that i had been hearing the noise for a while and while in motion. the keys are quiet when the bike is in motion.... first thing i came to was oil... there must be low oil. i parked the bike and and popped the dip stick out and NOTHING! there was no oil in the damn bike. there may have been maybe a quart or in there but that is it.

I called the local dealer but, there were closed (sunday)... so i called the dealer back home in baltimore and they refused to tell me an alternative oil to top off with. they said, "only harley oil" which is a complete lie... i goggled found that amsoil and mobile1 were fine... but only mobile1 was avaialbe nearby. I rode over to the shop two blocks away and got 2 quarts of oil, dumped in 1 and 1/2, and still nothing was registering on the dip stick.

I'm going to change the engine oil, filter and primary oil today now that the stealer is open. hopefully the noise goes away and i haven't destroyed my bike.... i need to learn to check the oil at every fill up. i just keep for getting...

i was warned by you all before... slipped my mind... i ride like once every two weeks now.
Originally Posted by lo-rider
So you never once checked the oil in 1800 miles?

Any ideas on what maybe going on inside the bike?

Last edited by cvaria; 10-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check your drain tube around the plug? It may be leaking underneath the bike, maybe from a loose hose clamp. You'd definitely notice if the plug was gone, when putting fresh oil in it. I would white glove it, I think you'd notice if you were burning it.

Run your hand/fingers underneath your rear fender..see if you have oil spray underneath it.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your oil regularly, I usually check the oil every second time I ride., Always oil in it but when you don't check it will be the time when there is no oil.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
Did you check your drain tube around the plug? It may be leaking underneath the bike, maybe from a loose hose clamp. You'd definitely notice if the plug was gone, when putting fresh oil in it. I would white glove it, I think you'd notice if you were burning it.

Run your hand/fingers underneath your rear fender..see if you have oil spray underneath it.
I will examine it later as I'm changing the oil.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

If your oil light did not come one, you hopefully have done no serious damage. Bike may have been running hotter. As long as you had some oil circulation you should be fairly safe.

John

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

edit: oops, John beat me to the low oil light warning.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
oil... none in bike.. MIA

I moved to florida and i guesss the heat has been cooking the oil right out of my bike.

I have been riding around all summer and hadn't gotten anywhere near 3000 miles so, i was not even worried about oil.

Any ideas on what maybe going on inside the bike?
What year is the bike?
While the heat can "cook" the oil, heat doesn't make it disappear.

You may be getting ready to learn an expensive lesson on why checking your oil level is important.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
cvaria
Supporter

The bike is a 2007.

Today I changed the oil and filter... did primary to out of habit. Took a ride and listened. The sound is completely gone. I may have dodged a bullet. But I'm sure I didn't get away with it completely.

I still want to know damage could I have done... my last ride was 350 miles @ an average of 95 mph. Engine may just randomly explode.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-21-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
The bike is a 2007.

......I still want to know damage could I have done... my last ride was 350 miles @ an average of 95 mph. Engine may just randomly explode.
Yes your engine MAY randomly explode but more than likely it won't. The only way you'll know what you did to it is to tear it down. The other option is to check your oil, locate any leaks, see if it is burning and stay on top of it.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No light, should be ok.

And next time, you can use any 20w50.

Hell, you can mix synthetic and regualr

Quick Reply: Probably trashed my bike... opinions wanted