Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visiting the old man.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM
HawkJunior
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Visiting the old man.

Hey whats going on guys, want to tell you a quick short story and show you an awesome picture I took yesterday.

This past monday I put 140 miles on the 48 just riding around Loudoun County and putting miles on some back roads. I decided I would stop by and visit my dads grave site for the 1st time on the bike. See my dad died back in October 30th 2003 when he was 40 and I was only 16. He had been riding at midnight with two of his buddies on a bike he was working on for a friend and a Deer had jumped on top of him knocking him off his bike. My dad unfortunately had been wearing a skid lid and died a few days later from brain trauma.

I grew up on his bikes, on his lap when I could barley walk he would drive me around our neighborhood and then when I got older I would ride on the back. He bought me a dirtbike when I was 13 and we would go riding through trails he taught me how to jump it, ride it, and have fun on two wheels like any great dad would do. We had plans to ride when I got older, always talking about how I couldnt wait to be old enough to ride with him and chase him around down some back roads stopping in having a beer or two and talking about life. We never got that chance to physically ride together. I went and got my motorcycle license a few months later and rode the last bike he built around a few times but unfortunately it had to be sold to pay for bills and for college. Since everything that had happen it wasnt in good taste I get a bike just yet.

Fast forward 9 years (Early 2012) the time finally came and everyone had realized like my dad and his dad before him and all of our relatives that riding motorcycles is in our blood I started looking around for the perfect bike. I started the process of looking for a home for myself and the love of my life who I had met early in 2012. During this time lenders do not like to see non essential purchases so the bike had to old off until the home was closed on. Fast forward to present to August 2013 finally it happened, we had become home owners and I could finally go get a bike that I had been waiting for. I had been debating between the Nightster and the 48 the past few years on which one I would get. One morning I was browsing craigslist and came across the perfect bike... a 2011 Sportster 48 with only 2700 miles drag bars, vance and hines short shots, retro air cleaner, lifted gas tank, removed front fender, and covers blacked out. I knew that was the bike. I picked it up September 29 just a few days after what would have been my dads 50th birthday and rode it home from Herndon VA. Yesterday afternoon after riding the bike to the gym and riding around back roads I came home and the girlfriend looked at me and said "what are you doing? It is gorgeous outside go ride for another hour or so then we can go have dinner somewhere you see on your ride!" I hopped back on the bike determined to drive into middleburg taking back roads from Round Hill.

My initial path was to go down Airmont until the road closed signs were still blocking the road. This required me to take back roads that would put me right next to where my dad was buried. I had yet to stop by his grave site since purchasing the bike, I do not know if it was because I was scarred or just not ready or what it was, but this day with the roads being closed I said this is it lets go visit dad and poppy and show dad my bike. I took off down route 7 towards winchester looking for the Bluemont sign, hopped of the highway and had a good blast down some back country roads getting closer and closer to the site. Within about 5 minutes I had pulled up to Ebenzer Church and the gravel road the cemetery is off of, slowly went down the gravel road pulled of to the grave site. Before shutting her down I decided to crack the thorttle a couples times in case dad was busy riding up in heaven. Right after about the 4th one I felt the wind pick up from right behind me and blow for a second. Dad had been with me the whole time and he approved. I sat there talked to him for a few minutes and told him about the ride I organized for him on the 26th of this month for the 10th anniversary of his life. Told him about the girlfriend and my big plan I have for her and I. I talked to them both for a few more minutes then asked for blessing and protection and got ready to leave, but before I did I took a quick photo on my cell phone and had no idea it would turn out like this.

Last edited by HawkJunior; 10-15-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
vonh
Cruiser

Great story man and a fine tribute to your father!! He must have been a good dad to have earned the respect your showing of him in this story. Brought tears to my eyes as I fondly remember my dad through your tribute to yours!! Thanks for the memories and I'm truly sorry for your loss!!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Sam88a
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing Brother. Terrific story, my Grampa was the one that got me on 2 wheels many years ago. Very sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you still have your riding buddy. Ride Safe.

Duty First,

Sam

Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

That's a nice story. Very sorry for your loss. Its awesome you are able to celebrate his life with a memorial ride in his honor. Love the pic with the bike and headstone.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your loss, my Dad and Mom both rode when I was little. Your so right, it gets in our blood. Thanks for sharing your ride with us. God Bless.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a beautiful story. I am fortunate that my folks are both still alive. My father and I actually took a 70 mile ride out of town just to stop at this BBQ place on the highway. This post made me realize how fortunate I am. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkJunior
Hey whats going on guys, want to tell you a quick short story and show you an awesome picture I took yesterday.

This past monday I put 140 miles on the 48 just riding around Loudoun County and putting miles on some back roads. I decided I would stop by and visit my dads grave site for the 1st time on the bike. See my dad died back in October 30th 2003 when he was 40 and I was only 16. He had been riding at midnight with two of his buddies on a bike he was working on for a friend and a Deer had jumped on top of him knocking him off his bike. My dad unfortunately had been wearing a skid lid and died a few days later from brain trauma.

I grew up on his bikes, on his lap when I could barley walk he would drive me around our neighborhood and then when I got older I would ride on the back. He bought me a dirtbike when I was 13 and we would go riding through trails he taught me how to jump it, ride it, and have fun on two wheels like any great dad would do. We had plans to ride when I got older, always talking about how I couldnt wait to be old enough to ride with him and chase him around down some back roads stopping in having a beer or two and talking about life. We never got that chance to physically ride together. I went and got my motorcycle license a few months later and rode the last bike he built around a few times but unfortunately it had to be sold to pay for bills and for college. Since everything that had happen it wasnt in good taste I get a bike just yet.

Fast forward 9 years (Early 2012) the time finally came and everyone had realized like my dad and his dad before him and all of our relatives that riding motorcycles is in our blood I started looking around for the perfect bike. I started the process of looking for a home for myself and the love of my life who I had met early in 2012. During this time lenders do not like to see non essential purchases so the bike had to old off until the home was closed on. Fast forward to present to August 2013 finally it happened, we had become home owners and I could finally go get a bike that I had been waiting for. I had been debating between the Nightster and the 48 the past few years on which one I would get. One morning I was browsing craigslist and came across the perfect bike... a 2011 Sportster 48 with only 2700 miles drag bars, vance and hines short shots, retro air cleaner, lifted gas tank, removed front fender, and covers blacked out. I knew that was the bike. I picked it up September 29 just a few days after what would have been my dads 50th birthday and rode it home from Herndon VA. Yesterday afternoon after riding the bike to the gym and riding around back roads I came home and the girlfriend looked at me and said "what are you doing? It is gorgeous outside go ride for another hour or so then we can go have dinner somewhere you see on your ride!" I hopped back on the bike determined to drive into middleburg taking back roads from Round Hill.

My initial path was to go down Airmont until the road closed signs were still blocking the road. This required me to take back roads that would put me right next to where my dad was buried. I had yet to stop by his grave site since purchasing the bike, I do not know if it was because I was scarred or just not ready or what it was, but this day with the roads being closed I said this is it lets go visit dad and poppy and show dad my bike. I took off down route 7 towards winchester looking for the Bluemont sign, hopped of the highway and had a good blast down some back country roads getting closer and closer to the site. Within about 5 minutes I had pulled up to Ebenzer Church and the gravel road the cemetery is off of, slowly went down the gravel road pulled of to the grave site. Before shutting her down I decided to crack the thorttle a couples times in case dad was busy riding up in heaven. Right after about the 4th one I felt the wind pick up from right behind me and blow for a second. Dad had been with me the whole time and he approved. I sat there talked to him for a few minutes and told him about the ride I organized for him on the 26th of this month for the 10th anniversary of his life. Told him about the girlfriend and my big plan I have for her and I. I talked to them both for a few more minutes then asked for blessing and protection and got ready to leave, but before I did I took a quick photo on my cell phone and had no idea it would turn out like this.

Awesome pictrue and tribute.. If I only knew where my father was buried I would do the same, sadly my father passed away and the city took the remains of his body and god knows what they did with him. My father had an addiction with drugs and alcohol, which eventually took his life when I was younger. Till this date I don't know the where abouts of my dad, maybe he was cremated, but I'm not sure of that either. This happened in NYC but at the time I was out of NY and found out about his death almost a year later after his passing... I was able to get his death certificate but thats about it...

Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry for your loss + thanx for your service. That's a beautiful headstone/monument to your father. Took this photo last year on an annual HOG ride to honor vets graves. Read the inscription under the B+S, it pretty much says it all.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the very touching story and great pic, 'brought tears to my eyes too.

There is no greater bond than that which exists between family...God Bless Dad, you, and yours. Ride safe

=8^)

Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM
HawkJunior
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the kind words brothers, yeah his headstone is pretty bad ***. It cost a decent amount to get his bike etched in with the amount of detail that is on the headstone. Next time I visit i'll get a closer picture of the bike to show the detail. That quote sums it up. Got to keep on riding for those who no longer can!

Quick Reply: Visiting the old man.