Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable seat for sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM
AnxiousCowboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable seat for sportster

I like the way my factory seat looks but after an hour or so my back is killing me and my tailbone is sore. I was looking at the HD "Sundowner" as a comfortable option that doesnt look to bulky. What are you guys using when you need a comfy seat?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Hot
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy
I like the way my factory seat looks but after an hour or so my back is killing me and my tailbone is sore. I was looking at the HD "Sundowner" as a comfortable option that doesnt look to bulky. What are you guys using when you need a comfy seat?
LePera maybe? (JMO)

Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 PM
AnxiousCowboy
6th Gear

very look. I love the alligator look. I'll have to see if I can find a comfortable dual seat in that texture...

Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Didn't say how tall you are, makes a big difference. At 6'3" the stock seat on my 1200C was too far forward, besides kinda rock hard. Tried a Sundowner, actually pushed me farther forward, and not very soft, either. My 883 has a Harley Pillow Look seat, very comfortable, and finally found one that fit my 1200; problem solved, sit a couple inches farther back, good cushion. Daughter says it's much nicer in second position, too. It's about 4 inches wider in back than the others. Probably won't see one on a show bike, though.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:41 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Didn't say how tall you are, makes a big difference. At 6'3" the stock seat on my 1200C was too far forward, besides kinda rock hard. Tried a Sundowner, actually pushed me farther forward, and not very soft, either. My 883 has a Harley Pillow Look seat, very comfortable, and finally found one that fit my 1200; problem solved, sit a couple inches farther back, good cushion. Daughter says it's much nicer in second position, too. It's about 4 inches wider in back than the others. Probably won't see one on a show bike, though.

There is great looks and great comfort but somehow they don't go together (afaic)

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM
grgtex
Stage I

I am an older rider beginning to ride again after nearly 40 years. I found the my tailbone hurt like the dickens. I am riding an 05 Sportster. I bought a new sundowner seat and still no appreciable improvement. Lots of expensive suggestions out there. I did hit upon an idea that seems to work for me. I bought a replacement case for the airhawk bladder. It was less than $30. I have put packing "peanuts" inside. I have also tried the packing air pockets in rolls cut to fit. This seems to work for me. It is cheap.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

I very recently went through this...like less than a week ago. I too began riding again after many years, and with a bad back to boot. After riding my '11 Superlow for a while, I knew that my back would suffer.

Did a bit of research, including the fine folks on this forum, and ended up with a Mustang Vintage Solo. So far, so good. It looks good as well.

GL which ever way you go.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by blackSP
There is great looks and great comfort but somehow they don't go together (afaic)
Agree, it kind of begs for something like that alligator hide LePera, but my butt doesn't seem to care what it looks like...

Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like the look of your current seat but just wish it was more comfortable check out MeanCityCycles.com. They will modify your seat with gel or memory foam and add miles to your comfort. They can also replace the stock leather with some other material to really give it a custom look.

They modified my Sundowner because I hated how high I sat in it. They also added memory foam. Now that it's 'broken in' I can put 10 hrs in on it, and still feel great.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM
AnxiousCowboy
6th Gear

Originally Posted by overthehill?
Did a bit of research, including the fine folks on this forum, and ended up with a Mustang Vintage Solo. So far, so good. It looks good as well.
I'm not old but my back is already ****ed and so are my knees. I'm 5'10 but all arms and legs. I also want to get a set of forward controls and mini apes to help me stretch out...

Quick Reply: Comfortable seat for sportster