Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddlebags vs. luggage rack and bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 AM
iasporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddlebags vs. luggage rack and bag

i am looking into getting something so i can actually go on trips and be able to carry stuff with me where i go and was wondering which is the better option. i already have detachable sideplates and a sissy bar. if i were to buy throw over saddlebags, is there any installation with that or is it just throw the saddlebags on and go.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:39 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Default RE: saddlebags vs. luggage rack and bag

Thats right. Just throw them over. You probably have to loosen the seat to put them on under it partially. Thats what it is for me. I like them. Easy on and off. Just carries enough for a few needs. I also have a home made luggage rack and sissy bar combo that I can carry luggage if I want to when going on trips. The problem for me with that is, I can't put on a 2 up seat. I use velcro to help hold the saddle bags from doing any side to side slipping.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
eggroll
Road Master

Throwovers usually have some cords hanging off 'em that you use to tie them down with (to the frame, taillights, whatever).
Don't forget to pack a few bungees with you.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and they (some)have been known to chafe paint unless standoff brackets are used. Any bags of good size may require relocation of the rear turn signals.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I use, the round bag, easy on and off.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/

Tom

Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 AM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently using a touring bag on a rack off the back of a detachable sissy bar. Works well but I also prefer the comfort and look of a single saddleseat when riding alone.
I am considering going to saddlebags with the "ease brackets". http://www.easybrackets.com/They offer hardware that will accomidate a detachable sissy bar and their brackets. Love the idea of making the bike "naked" at the drop of a hat.
Has or is anyone using these?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:00 PM
toadster
6th Gear

Saddlebags are the way to go.I have the h-d bags for the sportster. They flow withthe lines of the bike.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Ez brackets and they are definately easy to install and remove with minimal docking hardware remaining. Be sure to tell them you have a detachable backrest so you get the proper length bolts. They will require moving the rear turn signals. The laydown plateframe with turn signal bar from H-D will accomplish this. I found I used the bags more than not and liked the looks of H-D bags so I sold everything and bought Sportster bags from H-D.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
strickrodt70
Cruiser

Saddlebags are really the best way to go in my opinion. There are a lot of different types to choose from too. I like them for carrying tools and stuff like that. I've seen luggage racks and they have some advantages, but I have never used them. You might be able to carry quite a bit on a luggage rack. I've thought about giving a rack a try for longer trips.
I recently came back from a year in the Republic of Korea (South Korea), and the guys there installed luggage racks on their bikes. They would use their bikes as delivery vehicles. You wouldn't believe the stacks of boxes they would have on the back of their bikes. I thought for sure that I'd see a fridge on the back of a bike one day.And the whole time they would weave through traffic. They were amazing riders. Fearless.[&:]

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a detachable sissy bar setup with this Saddleman Highwayman Elitesissybar bag for around town:

I have the Weekender for longer trips (also mounts to the sissybar). This is only $69.99 at http://www.motorcycle-luggage.com/Me...Category_Code=:

Quick Reply: saddlebags vs. luggage rack and bag