Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch engagement question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Clutch engagement question

As I don't yet have the factory service manual, hopefully one of you knowledgeable folks can lend me a hand......clutch works fine, it just engages too far out. I did adjust the cable length so that there is more play, but is there an adjustment for the clutch itself? It is not comfortable engaging when the handle is almost all they way out.

Said another way: There should be some play in the handle with the clutch fully engaged - there is. What I am looking for is to 'pull in' the 'engagement point' closer towards the grip.

Hopefully this is clear enough....thanks.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I'm not sure you can do that, maybe try putting more slack in your cable?

I don't think the adjuster inside the derby cover will do anything, I believe it just makes sure the clutch pressure plate is fully engaged with a wee margin. I know they must spec the cable/lever freeplay to be that way for a reason. Probably need minimum "length of pull" to fully disengage clutch pack.

There are clutch levers aftermarket that might move the lever face closer for comfort. I was going to get some, but they all seem to be made of crappy plated chrome feces, so I kept my stockers.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 10-02-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
overthehill?
Road Master

Thanks for the reply John,
I had a feeling that was the case. I'll just put more play in the lever.....

Again..thanks,
Allen

Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Turn the adjustment screw under the derby cover more than 1/4 turn from seated. The further past, the closer it gets to the bar.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

What year is your Sportster...?? Sometimes the adjustment process varies a bit, but you should only have ~1/16" to 1/8" gap in the clutch, if adjusted properly. Normally, if you can slip a dime between the clutch stop and lever - it's good. Sounds like yours needs an adjustment. Here's the steps from my 2003 Service manual:

1. Remove the clutch inspection cover and quad ring.
2. Slide the rubber boot off the clutch in-line cable adjuster.
3. Loosen the adjuster jam nut and turn the adjuster to provide maximum cable slack.
4. Make sure the clutch cable ferrule seats squarely in the lever housing receptacle on the handlebar.
5. At the clutch mechanism, remove the spring and lockplate assembly.
6. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until it is lightly seated.
7. Turn the adjusting screw 1/4 turn clockwise.
8. Reinstall the spring and lockplate assembly so it fits inside the outer ramp recess. If necessary, turn the adjusting clockwise until the flats on the lockplate fit into the flats in the outer ramp.
9. Be sure the quad ring is located in the primary drivecover groove.
10. Install the inspection cover so the notch in the cover fits over the cable boss on the primary drive cover. Tighten the retaining screws to 84-108 in.-lb.
11. Check the free play as follows:
a. At the inline cable adjuster, turn the adjuster away from the jam nut until slack is eliminated at the clutch hand lever.
b. Pull the clutch cable end away from the clutch lever, then turn the clutch cable adjuster to obtain the freeplay of 1/16-1/8 in.
c. When the adjustment is correct, tighten the clutch inline cable jam nut and slide the rubber boot over the cable adjuster.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM
overthehill?
Road Master

I guess its clutch adjustment time...the video was great, as well as the advice.

@Iceman, its a 2011 Superlow...the instructions you posted seem pretty close to what was in the video....

Again, thanks guys.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't own a torque wrench I'd get one. Remember INCH pounds, 90 isn't very much.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 AM
jayo84
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly the same problem as you. Just follow the youtube video, and you will be fine. I followed that exact video. And now the clutch engages right where it should

Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 227 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
6. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until it is lightly seated.
Apologies for the dumb question, but what does "seated" mean? How do I tell the screw is finally seated when I turn it?

I've also watched the video and it says the same thing as Iceman, to turn the screw until it is "seated".

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement question