Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary adjustment ?

I have whirring/whining noise (no it's not coming from me) that I was told was probably caused by the primary not being tensioned right. I have tried to adjust it but haven't gotten rid of the noise. Now I've tightened and looened it so many times I'm wondering if I've got it way off. Anyone got a any simple methods of getting the adjustment right? Also when I changed oil I went to Lucas 20/50 syn and went ahead and changed trans/primary fluid and used the same oil in it. Was this a bad idea? It says on the container for engine and for primary and transmission.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: primary adjustment ?

I've used the procedures in the owner's manual and service manual for primary adjustment. As far as lube goes, I've used the Sport-trans fluid available at the dealer. If you need me to scan and email images/procedures.......olesalt43@suddenlink.net. BTW...my service manual is 04.
With my pipes, I couldn't hear whining if there was any. Is this noise also in neutral or only when your in gear?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

Their is a slight noise when in neutral but it's a lot more noticable when I'm coasting to a stop. It doesn't matter if I put it in neutral and coast or coast to a stop with the clutch in. I wish MY pipes were loud enough so I wouldn't hear noises.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
streetbobjim
Cruiser

could it be the belt tension if its there when you are coasting?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also check the rearend in the trike mechanism. Sounds like maybe rearend gear noise. Dunno anything about trikes though.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually if it's a primary chain... (loose) you'll get a jerking at a low speed first gear near idle... first indication... too tight you would get a unusual sound coming from there... the adjustment is 3/8 of an inch of slack (an '05 evo engine)... either tighten or loosen adjusting bolt/nut to achieve this result...

If it's a drive belt making the noise... try coasting from different speeds with clutch in... if there is a different pitch in the sound that you are hearing then I'd say that might be part of your problem... maybe the rear-end is not tracking true...

You bike being a different year model and a trike... all this may be out the window though...

Charlie D.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
blackdog1
Novice

I changed the primary / trans fluid lastnight and adjusted the chain. ty 1200I now have what seems to be the same noise. I'm guessing either slightly too tight primary or, more likely, slightly too much trans fluid.

I'm gonna drain a few ounces when it warms up here today and see what happens

04, sporty 1200c

Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

The manual calls for 32 oz. in the trans/primary. I changed the oil and put a quart ofLucas 20/50 syn. in it. Seemed to help a little. I'm pretty sure it's okay to use the same oil in the primary as you use in the engine even though the manual says nothing about it. What do you think?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
blackdog1
Novice

good question. In my 4x4, the trans fluid / transfer case / diff oil is a Hypoid 90 weight; much thicker than motor oil. Without actually doing a viscosity test, IMO, the Harley trans oil is closer to that weight than motor oil is.

Conversely, Shifter Karts run 20-50 in transmissions to reduce drag; but these are pure racing applications.

I think you're ok but for the cost of buying a quart of harley trans fluid, I'll stick with it.

04 sporty 1200c

Old 03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought about going to one of primaryfluids I've read about inother threads. Like Redline or Mobile 1. They have a higher viscosity rating but it says on the Lucas oil can that it can be used for engine and transmisions and primaries but I don't always trust what I read on a label.

Quick Reply: primary adjustment ?