Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitment of the LED Daymaker on the 48

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM
MickAngel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitment of the LED Daymaker on the 48

Hey Guys,

Just bought my 2013 Forty Eight a few weeks ago and plan on upgrading to a Harley LED Daymaker. I ordered the housing with the light (since the website told me I needed to) but have heard people say the website isn't always correct. So, my question is - Does anyone know if purchasing the housing was necessary or does the bulb fit right into the stock housing?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM
nauzerlvr
Cruiser

From everything I've read, it's necessary to get the new nacelle. You probably need it because it might have an area for the ballast or equalizer where the stock one does not.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MickAngel
Hey Guys,

Just bought my 2013 Forty Eight a few weeks ago and plan on upgrading to a Harley LED Daymaker. I ordered the housing with the light (since the website told me I needed to) but have heard people say the website isn't always correct. So, my question is - Does anyone know if purchasing the housing was necessary or does the bulb fit right into the stock housing?

Thanks!
I got it last week... very straight forward install. Remove old headlight, drop in new LED headlight in stock housing... nothing to it.

- HD Daymaker LED Headlamp - Part No. 67700145

Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

As you can see, I got the black one, that is the part number I listed. If you go with Chromed it will be a different part number...just fyi

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wachuko....how much of a difference is there in the stock light and the Daymaker? Worth the $300 bones?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by USMC_ech110
Wachuko....how much of a difference is there in the stock light and the Daymaker? Worth the $300 bones?
Man... that is a loaded/difficult question to answer... when you can buy an HID setup for 40.00... a PIAA 70456 Xtreme White Plus H4 Anti-vibration Bulb for about the same... is spending 7.5 times the cost on the LED worth it.

I went from stock bulb to the PIAA 70456 Xtreme White Plus H4 Anti-vibration Bulb. Major improvement over stock and no risk in load to the wiring. I was happy with that. So happy that I was not looking to buy the HD LED.

HID was never in the picture for me because of the housing not designed for one. I know, I know, so what... I did not care, was not going to go through the process of hiding the ballast and all that... I did that once on my Sport bike so not an issue of not knowing what was involved..

So back to your question. The HD LED is slick, well built, perfect fit, looks great. Light is bright white, perfect match to the driving/signal Custom Dynamic lights I have.

The only reason I got it was because I had some money left from the insurance on the repair of the bike (I did the labor and used that portion to upgrade a few items). I was not going to fork out the cash before that.

There are people that are going to tell you "is your life worth 300.00?" "you need as much light and be visible as you can", etc... To me, the stock setup, with the PIAA upgrade and those Custom Dynamics driving lights, was enough.

The HD LED looks nice, is bright white, works as intended. Sorry for the long answer, hope it helps...

Last edited by wachuko; 09-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 PM
MachU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Installed mine the other day, its loose in the stock housing.
Some say use stock rubber from OEM headlight to take up the space, however I don't see how the stock piece fits around the back/ballast?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:49 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by MachU
Installed mine the other day, its loose in the stock housing.
Some say use stock rubber from OEM headlight to take up the space, however I don't see how the stock piece fits around the back/ballast?
That is weird. What bike? I am telling you, simple bolt on for mine. A 2013 Forty-Eight.

I used the stock metal ring that goes inside the housing, then inserted the headlight, outside ring...

Just for the heck of it, I am going to take it a part and take photos along the way so that you guys see that there is no need for anything else. LED headlight comes with a gasket that the instructions mentions to use only if your old headlight had one. Not the case in my bike, no rubber gaskets in the stock unit...

Last edited by wachuko; 09-20-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Sierra141
Cruiser

The housing that they sell for it has anti vibration so it wont damage the LED diode in the long run..

Old 09-21-2013, 02:12 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Question

Originally Posted by Sierra141
The housing that they sell for it has anti vibration so it wont damage the LED diode in the long run..
Do you have the part number? Photos?? I was not told that I needed that when I bought it...

Quick Reply: Fitment of the LED Daymaker on the 48