Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal, kill switch, highlow, and horn buttons

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013 | 10:22 AM
mdefedele
|
Stage I
Default turn signal, kill switch, highlow, and horn buttons

Hey all,
I am working on bobbing out my 09 Nightster. I currently have 16 inch apes and am changing out to a jockey shifter with suicide clutch. In an effort to clean crap up I am also trying to remove the bulky plastic switches for blinkers and horns and kill switch etc. My question is: does anyone have ideas on where to relocate these? I don't want to lose functionality of the blinkers and switches so I was thinking of routing wires through bars and changing our blinker switches to smaller buttons on the bars....but the kill switch and horn and start button will need to go somewhere...most likely on the frame. Any ides are appreciated...In the end the only thing i want on my bars is a fron brake, master cylinder and mirror mounts upside down. And a nice set of old skool grips Thanks!!!

Old 09-12-2013 | 10:23 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I've seen a bunch of things like micro switches on the bars, switches on the headlight eyebrow, run switch on the frame next to the battery, etc. It's your imagination.

Old 09-17-2013 | 02:59 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

moved my headlight switch to the brow. got rid of the front blinks and mounted tiny posh mini switches on the bars for those. can barely see them. starter switch and horn on the neck gusset. removed the kill switch so pump primes now when I turn the key. I have pics if you want them or check my profile pics or the crazyorange m/c thread I started but that **** is like 1k pages long. lol. good luck.

Old 09-17-2013 | 03:06 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

here ya go...

just have to finish sanding/grinding down the perchs and paint them but that can wait for winter.

Old 09-17-2013 | 06:51 PM
Kushman
Tourer

I have seen several designs that also relocate the switches to the ignition mounting plate and some use an auto type ignition to eliminate the start switch. As long as you use a high quality switch that is made for outside rough usage and rated for the amps you will be drawing.
Nice setup bmxatv looks awesome and nice and clean love the bars and riser clamp kool.
Cheers

Old 09-18-2013 | 02:57 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

thanks Kush. yeah just had to bypass the wire for the kill and the key still works the same, just primes the pump. i mostly used 15-20amp switches. for the headlight i used an on/off/on switch for the off/hi/low but i stays with it on hi! all switches were from autozone.

Old 04-26-2014 | 10:10 PM
springding
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mdefedele
Hey all,
I am working on bobbing out my 09 Nightster. I currently have 16 inch apes and am changing out to a jockey shifter with suicide clutch. In an effort to clean crap up I am also trying to remove the bulky plastic switches for blinkers and horns and kill switch etc. My question is: does anyone have ideas on where to relocate these? I don't want to lose functionality of the blinkers and switches so I was thinking of routing wires through bars and changing our blinker switches to smaller buttons on the bars....but the kill switch and horn and start button will need to go somewhere...most likely on the frame. Any ides are appreciated...In the end the only thing i want on my bars is a fron brake, master cylinder and mirror mounts upside down. And a nice set of old skool grips Thanks!!!
Check out this clip. http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL7sa_73mYQHhEuf22oR0_vlJ3NjWqwcyT&v=mF dBGfbYsro. He talks about the controls at 0:58 into the vid and later when he starts the bike. All controls integrated into the grips.