Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas caps sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas caps sportster

Has anyone been able to find an aftermarket cas cap for an 04 and newer Sportster. I have been unable to find anything but the stock version. Even HD has nothing but gas cap covers and a limited selection of those. All of the custom caps I have seen are for big twins. I am removing my chrome gas tank trim around my gas cap and want something less generic looking than the stock offering.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: gas caps sportster

Have you tried eBay?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

I have somewhat. Not a hardcore search. I thought some of the premier custom suppliers would carry something but have tried JP cycles, Kuryakin etc. with no results. You would think that they would make a screw-in insert into which the smaller caps would fit.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
ccpvus
2nd Gear

I know what you mean. I was looking for a different cap for my 1200R and did not find much of anything. Settled on an HD gas cap cover. Have'nt seen to many on ebay. Seems to be a little bit better selection for Custom models.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ccpvus

I know what you mean. I was looking for a different cap for my 1200R and did not find much of anything. Settled on an HD gas cap cover. Have'nt seen to many on ebay. Seems to be a little bit better selection for Custom models.
It seems like a niche that someone would quickly fil.l

Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using a flush mount popup cap on my 06 1200C after removing the tank trim. You can find them all over ebay and other catalogs for various prices, I got mine on ebay from 2orangeharleys for about $30, Robs Cycle Supply and Debrix Cycles also have them for about the same price. You just need to be sure its threaded for 04 up and vented.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
ontcanuck
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a catalog from J & P Cycle Harley addition.On pages 455 to 462 there are lots of caps for all Harleys

Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
hywy2hl
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: capttawes

I'm using a flush mount popup cap on my 06 1200C after removing the tank trim. You can find them all over ebay and other catalogs for various prices, I got mine on ebay from 2orangeharleys for about $30, Robs Cycle Supply and Debrix Cycles also have them for about the same price. You just need to be sure its threaded for 04 up and vented.

Hey that's what I just put on mine. I think it looks clean.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: capttawes

Hey capt, what did you use to get your tank trim off, dental floss or fishing line? Also how much glue remained on your tank and what did you use to remove the residue? It looks cool. I was thinking about some pinstiping for the top of my tank after removing the trim but I like the clean look of your tank. My 05 is Glacier white pearl.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a hairdryerand fishing line for some of it but mostly once the adhesive softened with the hair dryer I just slowly peeled it off. There was residue left on the tank but I just rolled most of it of with my finger and then wiped with some WD40. Be careful with the fishing line as I had some spots it contactcted the tank and puts hair line scratches in the clearcoat (you can buff out most out with Scratch-X and wax. I love the look of the bare tank. Standing in the dealer my wife and I both commented on not really liking the tank strip so I knew it was coming off before to long (I think it stayed on maybe 2 months).

Quick Reply: gas caps sportster