Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 AM
The Dali
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NATAWS9
- The comment about what the MSF course teaches said to brake while downshifting. They forgot to mention that they also teach you to pull in the clutch. That is by far the preferred way to stop, using the brakes only to stop and downshift so you can take off again quickly if needed. The argument that you can take off quicker after engine braking is silly since everyone who rides should be familiar with the basic skill of shifting down when slowing.
I agree, this is exactly what the MSF course instructor said. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
puckerpuss55
Advanced

Seems to me, if I read it correctly, that Dusty Bones lives in Michigan. Riding there is about 9 months (maybe 10) due to winter ice and snow. To get twice the tire mileage due to NOT engine braking out of a tire, he must ride about 30,000 miles in the season.(1-2 more changes a year)? Maybe I didn't read it correctly? I ride conservatively(no "hotdogging") or spinning my tires or locking them up. I got about 13,000 miles on the stock Dunlap rear tire. I down shift ALL the time to slow(not to stop). And use the front brake more than the rear. Have needed to stop quickly on several occasions. And the JOINT use of front, back, AND down shifting (at the proper RPM) will stop you on a dime. This is what we were taught in our MSF class. I even avoided a ground hog at 15 MPH with that technique. Down shifting does save brakes. I have 27,500 miles and still have original rear brakes, working on second set of front brakes, and second front tire, and just got my third rear tire. Just watch which gear you are in and what your speed is when you let out the clutch. Your tire may "lock up" momentarily, causing a skid effect. Each rider developes their "own" technique that suits their riding style. Ride safe and LIVE FREE

Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by puckerpuss55
Seems to me, if I read it correctly, that Dusty Bones lives in Michigan. Riding there is about 9 months (maybe 10) due to winter ice and snow. To get twice the tire mileage due to NOT engine braking out of a tire, he must ride about 30,000 miles in the season.(1-2 more changes a year)? Maybe I didn't read it correctly? I ride conservatively(no "hotdogging") or spinning my tires or locking them up. I got about 13,000 miles on the stock Dunlap rear tire. I down shift ALL the time to slow(not to stop). And use the front brake more than the rear. Have needed to stop quickly on several occasions. And the JOINT use of front, back, AND down shifting (at the proper RPM) will stop you on a dime. This is what we were taught in our MSF class. I even avoided a ground hog at 15 MPH with that technique. Down shifting does save brakes. I have 27,500 miles and still have original rear brakes, working on second set of front brakes, and second front tire, and just got my third rear tire. Just watch which gear you are in and what your speed is when you let out the clutch. Your tire may "lock up" momentarily, causing a skid effect. Each rider developes their "own" technique that suits their riding style. Ride safe and LIVE FREE
I am from MI, own property in MI. Its my home of record. Rickss69 will be getting a package in the mail shortly from me. He can confirm the post mark is in NC. Where I live and worked for the past 3 years. I spend a lot of time on back roads, sharp curves and a lot of switching back and forth. My tires wear very evenly, no flat spot in the middle. I ride every single day there is no ice on the roads, last year that was exactly 360 days, but on the other 5 days I went home at lunch when the ice melted and got the bike. I have also riden in snow flurries that have a hard time sticking in my parts, maybe a little slushy here and there.

Maybe some of the guys here are mistakingly thinking the technique of getting into the gear you will exit a curve in before you even get into the curve is 'engine braking' because of the slowing effect it has if you dont match your revs to your speed to keep your speed up as you get into it. Easily fixed by getting some more road time and some practice. Might be hard to gain muscle memory if you only ride on the weekends. Thats not my fault.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
puckerpuss55
Advanced

I am originally from the communist state of Jersey. And I meant no offense in anyway. I just know how bad the roads get up north. I live in Tenn now and usually enjoy riding year round as long as no ice is on the road. I have ridden in 14 degree weather WITHOUT a full face helmet and nearly had frost bite! Guess we are just hard core riders!! Even in the pouring rain with lightening!! But I must say, I do stay OFF the dragon, it's not about MY SKILLS, it is more about THEIR skills(cagers included) Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by puckerpuss55
I am originally from the communist state of Jersey. And I meant no offense in anyway. I just know how bad the roads get up north. I live in Tenn now and usually enjoy riding year round as long as no ice is on the road. I have ridden in 14 degree weather WITHOUT a full face helmet and nearly had frost bite! Guess we are just hard core riders!! Even in the pouring rain with lightening!! But I must say, I do stay OFF the dragon, it's not about MY SKILLS, it is more about THEIR skills(cagers included) Thanks for the clarification.
No offense is ever taken here. My real life friends are far more brutal, as am I to them. Most these guys here are like a guy I work with. He has been riding twice as long as I have. Yet only rides 1700 miles a year, in NC! Its going to take him another 180 years of riding to ride as many miles as I have, if I were to stop riding today.

The way I see it is I have as much a chance of getting 18,000 miles from a rear tire as some of these guys have riding when its 14F outside, which just happens to be the lowest temp I have riden in as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

I wish I could get 18k out of mine. Hell I wish I could get 10k out of mine. My last went 6300 and these bastards wouldnt inspect it.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Just let this thread die already
When does come winter?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Proteus
When does come winter?
Pfffft. Do it your way.

Someone did do a study on braking. People who brake normal and use "assistance" from the engine use how much more distance than those who just clutch it?

When you quote me In the space I left you above use that fancy color feature In your answer so we can see your awesome online skills.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...ctive_braking/

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey quit confusing the issue with facts Dusty

Im glad to see what the articles say is what I do except for one small part in emergency braking practice. I do an emergency practice stop EVERY time I ride but instead of from 60 its usually from between 45 and 55 depending on traffic on my dead end street.

The article also supports something else Ive said.........regarding ABS. I said ABS will stop you sooner unless your a professional (ie racer) who practices threshold braking ALL the time. I believe your view is that its worthless for your superior riding skills but may be ok for us show bike owners Sucks when you find facts that poke holes in your bucket eh?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 610 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Just let this thread die already

Why does it matter to you? Are you forced to read and post in this thread?

Quick Reply: Shifting down