Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
deltafred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this...thank you to the guys that posted USEFUL information and )#$%&$ to the guys that posted BS.

To the OP...I use both...down shifting in conjunction with braking...I am still learning just like everyone else, ride safe and enjoy your time.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm struggling to write this and control my laughter at the same time(not easy)....I like the one about EFI bikes and engine braking and,and,and this guy who tried to explain the law of physics and how smart he is or whatever the bull...WTF... funny ****...keep em coming guys..I need the therapy.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Well there really is a lot of complete nonsense in there. My first Harley had front and rear disc brakes plus a carb when I bought it new in 1974. Why do I write that? It didn't slow down very well with it's crap brakes!

Older carb'd bikes have greater engine breaking for a very simple reason - they also suffer from high parasitic losses throughout the drive train. In other words there is a lot of friction and resistance in the design and manufacture. That is nothing to do with having a carb or drum brakes.

Efi bikes do not engine brake very well because they have had a lot of the parasitic losses engineered out of them. That is nothing to do with having efi or disc brakes, but a function of recent vehicle design, across all vehicle types, to reduce exhaust emissions, improve fuel economy and keep EPA sweet.

So then you agree with me, right? I mean, that is what I said, with much less words. But you start off by saying its a bunch of nonsense, then say exactly the same thing I did in more words. I know all about parasitic weight. I bet there is about 2-3 guys here who know putting a 5 pound lighter tire on the rear nets the same time shaved off your quarter mile time as doing a stage 1 upgrade does. Thats about .3-.4 seconds less in the quarter. Cheapest stage 1 upgrade any harley owner can do is find a tire 5 or more pounds lighter rear tire for the same exact gains. Less rotating force also means quicker stops. I could go on about how I worked in a ford service department when them V8 engines you mentioned came out and I got the same speech. Learned all kinds of things back then. It means nothing. If you know about parasitic weight, then you also know brakes are far better for slowing and stopping, and engine braking along with brake braking in no way shape or form stops you quicker. If it works that way on your bike, the brakes need a service done on them time now, something is wrong.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
Dusty, you just posted a link to an article on stopping, emergency stopping at that. I thought I told you, engine braking is for slowing down not stopping. You can't stop a motorcycle with the engine. Well, you can but it's kinda ugly and not very quick.
You havent told me anything. Go read the OP and quote where it mentions slowing or stopping. Others mentioned engine braking, I post brakes are for going slower and stopping and engines are for going faster.

This is where you need to insert one of your fictional stories, or is this your fictional story? Kinda hard to tell because you give no supporting counter information. You just post, like its for the childrens greater good based on your emotion.

Maybe you could provide information from your MSF class you took on when to engine brake. State exam I took and MSF instructor both said the same thing. When going down long steep grades. Even then it is not taught that way because it works better, its because the brakes will fade too much after 2 miles of riding them constantly. Most you would ever use brakes for while on flat ground is less than 100 meters. No time for heat to build to fade brakes in that distance so that argument is inane. A sportster is listed at 124' 60-0 brake distance, same exact distance as an R6. The engine is not going to shorten that distance. If you say it will, prove it.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good grief, what have we done ... the OP asked whether it was OK to decelerate by downshifting.

Now this thread has taken some breathtaking turns, and it leaves me speechless.

Attached Thumbnails Shifting down-image.jpg  

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 09-11-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread is simply a blast... Thoroughly enjoying the jokes.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Eisentreiber
Good grief, what have we done ... the OP asked whether it was OK to decelerate by downshifting.

Now this thread has taken some breathtaking turns, and it leaves me speechless.
I leave the breath taking turns for the road.

This thread took a moronic turn at about post 12, post 13 put it back on straight level ground again and post 20 proves my point. Anyone getting 18,000 miles on a tire speaks volumes about their riding style. My stock tires were done in 8939 miles, pressure check and regulated weekly at the proper psi. Yes I do ride with guys as aggressive as me who engine break that get half the mileage as me. I already said engine braking is fine for flower sniffing. Its obvious even with his engine braking habit he drives pretty granny like. To claim other wise would be the real comic relief. Anyone with only one set of tires wore out to their ride could tell you his riding style is very laid back. Even the guys running dual or triple compound tires who ride aggressive get in the 10000 mile range on their tires because they wear the sides down faster than the center. Seen it on a couple bikes, sorry, I did not read it on the web. Looks funny and unsafe too with the squared off wear.

Actually, as the OP wrote the first post, engine braking with all that weight on the rear tire is a pretty good idea and probably worked much better than it does solo.

Your being speechless only tells me you have no factual information or experience to back up the superior ability of the engine to brake over brakes. That or you are also one of them one line wonders, or padding your post count to gain street cred here.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,565 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
You havent told me anything. Go read the OP and quote where it mentions slowing or stopping. Others mentioned engine braking, I post brakes are for going slower and stopping and engines are for going faster.

This is where you need to insert one of your fictional stories, or is this your fictional story? Kinda hard to tell because you give no supporting counter information. You just post, like its for the childrens greater good based on your emotion.

Maybe you could provide information from your MSF class you took on when to engine brake. State exam I took and MSF instructor both said the same thing. When going down long steep grades. Even then it is not taught that way because it works better, its because the brakes will fade too much after 2 miles of riding them constantly. Most you would ever use brakes for while on flat ground is less than 100 meters. No time for heat to build to fade brakes in that distance so that argument is inane. A sportster is listed at 124' 60-0 brake distance, same exact distance as an R6. The engine is not going to shorten that distance. If you say it will, prove it.
I don't recall saying any thing that would require counter information.
There ya go again. I never said it would.
My engine does what I need it to do.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,565 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I leave the breath taking turns for the road.

This thread took a moronic turn at about post 12, post 13 put it back on straight level ground again and post 20 proves my point. Anyone getting 18,000 miles on a tire speaks volumes about their riding style. My stock tires were done in 8939 miles, pressure check and regulated weekly at the proper psi. Yes I do ride with guys as aggressive as me who engine break that get half the mileage as me. I already said engine braking is fine for flower sniffing. Its obvious even with his engine braking habit he drives pretty granny like. To claim other wise would be the real comic relief. Anyone with only one set of tires wore out to their ride could tell you his riding style is very laid back. Even the guys running dual or triple compound tires who ride aggressive get in the 10000 mile range on their tires because they wear the sides down faster than the center. Seen it on a couple bikes, sorry, I did not read it on the web. Looks funny and unsafe too with the squared off wear.

Actually, as the OP wrote the first post, engine braking with all that weight on the rear tire is a pretty good idea and probably worked much better than it does solo.

Your being speechless only tells me you have no factual information or experience to back up the superior ability of the engine to brake over brakes. That or you are also one of them one line wonders, or padding your post count to gain street cred here.
Alright! I made the list.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
I don't recall saying any thing that would require counter information.
There ya go again. I never said it would.
My engine does what I need it to do.
You have not said anything one way or the other. Your opener was a load of BS in a short one liner.

You post words with no information provided one way or the other. You just type words.

What are you trying to say based on the OPs original question? Tell us a story about your niece setting a world record 60-0 stop with nothing but engine braking or something. Comedy is your forte. Or is this the best comedy you can come up with on this one?

Quick Reply: Shifting down