Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
I find that one liners are more efficient than using a whole page to say nothing.

Confucius say, man who stands on toilet, high on pot and make big splash.

Now hurry up and get to the next stop light so you can wait and rev your engine.
Dont you ride a mans bike? Why you trollin in the ladies bike section?

Go have your neice beatup some ricer gang guys in the walmart parking lot again. Your fictional stories are far better than your one liners.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
OP. it's find to downshift. I've been doing it to every bike & stick shift car I've ever owned for the past 40 years. Never had, seen or heard of any ill effects.
Ive only owned vehicles for 34 years so not quite as experienced but.........just so everyone knows, its perfectly fine to only use brakes to slow down too.........Never had, seen or heard of any ill effects doing so. (this assumes your not a moron and stay in high gear till you come to a stop)

Thought about it for a bit and have thought of one situation where engine braking is wise.........not just neither here nor there (which is how I think of it though I rarely do it), and thats going down very long inclines. Im from Colorado and its often better to use a lower gear to keep your speed in check rather than riding your brakes.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones

Go have your neice beatup some ricer gang guys in the walmart parking lot again. Your fictional stories are far better than your one liners.
You really just need to forget how to log onto a computer. Such a douche.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
You really just need to forget how to log onto a computer. Such a douche.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Your First use of the bold feature question- everyone knows disc brakes are better than drum brakes. Drum brakes were so bad back in the day that yes, engine braking helped. Maybe you lack such experience or if you did, you have forgotten, but I covered this earlier so my bet is on poor memory if you cant remember what I posted earlier.

Second use of bold feature- pure common sense. Engines are for going faster, brakes are for going slower. Its easy to deduct I am saying if brakes are a bad idea for times you want to go faster, engines are are just as bad at going slower, too easy.

The rest of your use of the bold feature explains itself. Slow down and read. Maybe use your adrenal gland to slow your brain and read what I said is that information I posted is based on experience. Someone online, no matter how kool their one liners are or use of bold features will never replace on the road experience.
Congratulations Mr. Einstein, you failed to answer any of the direct questions I posted without giving any logical explanation whatsoever. The only logical thing you have posted on this tread is (quote) I have also noted that grabbing a hand full of brake has never made the bike go much faster, if at all. I'm going to keep things simpler this time by keeping it down to just one question: Did you really figure that out all by yourself?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing I say is, your brake lights don't come on when you down shift so just be mindful of who and what is behind you when you down shift to engine brake. As far as your friend's advice goes, I guess there is a reason he was riding in the position that he was. What's the back seat called again?

Allen

Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,565 Likes on 2,183 Posts

I have a 2000 883, is that girly enough? I don't ride it much because it's messed up from too much engine braking.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My second bike is my late father's 1972 airhead, 750cc, drum brakes everywhere, I've learned to ride a big bike on this very one BMW, 35 years ago. Those bikes had a heavy flywheel, really helpful to slow down the bike going through the gears before attempting to brake.

This is the way I learnt to ride, this is the way I ride my 2012 H-D Sportster. I can't imagine myself pulling the clutch out and only use the brake to come to a stop. No way...

Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by ynots
Congratulations Mr. Einstein, you failed to answer any of the direct questions I posted without giving any logical explanation whatsoever. The only logical thing you have posted on this tread is (quote) I have also noted that grabbing a hand full of brake has never made the bike go much faster, if at all. I'm going to keep things simpler this time by keeping it down to just one question: Did you really figure that out all by yourself?
After reading all your posts it becomes obvious you got butt hurt somewhere along the way. I never said its unsafe or destructive to the bike. I have said brakes stop our bikes better than engines do, duh, thats what they are made for.

Do yourself a favor first and provide everyone here information or proof engine braking is more efficient than brake braking. Just for you, once again, never said its unsafe or destructive, I said brakes brake better than engines, kinda like how I said engines make you go faster than brakes will.

Also keep in mind that in all 50 states there is no laws against braking with your brakes. There are laws against engine braking and the resulting noise. And here goes this whole on the road experience thing again, darn bugger it is. Catch a po po in a bad mood on a ride through one of these locales, and you will get a engine braking and noise violation. The darned part is I know a guy who got just such a violation.

Maybe you flower sniffin sunday afternoon temps between 70-80 only on sunny day riders will never put enough miles on your tires to ever experience this, but some will.

What you need to do instead of clicking on that bold feature, is to post some useable information. After all, what part of what I say do you not understand? Brakes brake better than engines.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I just love how this thread has evolved !!
Or would that be devolved?!

=8^)

Quick Reply: Shifting down