Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I harley ever engine brake,I may down shift for a boost up a hill,but usually just use brakes to stop or slow just my 2 cent

Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I normally double down shift at each intersection I need to stop:

it saves a bit on the brake pads
I like the noise it makes
Keeps the gears spinning in case I need to change again
The neighbors don't mind
I've always done this
Its never been a concern till now

PS:
With all the inspection restrictions I read about I suggest everyone pack-up and move to Israel. My annual inspection takes roughly 2 minutes, everyone is looking over the chrome and want to hear her run (I assume for some rational reason).
I get my sticker and adios. Wam, bam, thank'ya mam...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Show me in the code for NC where there is a noise limit.
I already did.

NC Gen Stat § 20-128:

§ 20‑128. Exhaust system and emissions control devices.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler, or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, annoying smoke and smoke screens.
The limit is any noise that is "excessive or unusual." The mere fact that it is often unenforced does not negate the law's existence.

The fact that a different state uses hard and fast decibel numbers similarly does NOT change the fact that NC's "excessive or unusual" standard absolutely is a noise restriction.

Your lay opinion on the law is false and misleading. Frankly, you remind me of the clients I've seen who insist that the income tax is illegal. No matter how many times a competent attorney explains the law to them, they persist in their belief because they have some secret or special knowledge (that they refuse to cite) and anything the attorney shows them that is counter to their position is ignored.

In any case, I'm done here. I've made my point, you've failed to refute it, and I'm confident that any neutral third-party can see this.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
He stops quicker the second time because he pulled the brakes harder.
were you there to be so affirmative?

I always have the tendency to take informations on the net with the needed grain of salt. Depends who paid the study. In the 1950's, some doctors told people cigarettes were healthy. We all know how it is so true now. Some people believe God shaped the whole universe in 6 days. There are no evidences it happened that way. Some US presidents invaded some country because there were massive destruction weapons. We all know how it is so true now. Where are the evidences?

We all are free to think what we want

In this braking matter, you always come with evidences you even self not have tested. Have you done the braking test both way? I'm sure you didn't!

Oh, by the way, I still down shift when I brake, I even did it more than once today ...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
With all the inspection restrictions I read about I suggest everyone pack-up and move to Israel. My annual inspection takes roughly 2 minutes, everyone is looking over the chrome and want to hear her run (I assume for some rational reason).
I get my sticker and adios. Wam, bam, thank'ya mam...
David, your government's gonna have a cow if all of us goyim show up at Israel's doorstep

Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Proteus
were you there to be so affirmative?

I always have the tendency to take informations on the net with the needed grain of salt. Depends who paid the study. In the 1950's, some doctors told people cigarettes were healthy. We all know how it is so true now. Some people believe God shaped the whole universe in 6 days. There are no evidences it happened that way. Some US presidents invaded some country because there were massive destruction weapons. We all know how it is so true now. Where are the evidences?

We all are free to think what we want

In this braking matter, you always come with evidences you even self not have tested. Have you done the braking test both way? I'm sure you didn't!

Oh, by the way, I still down shift when I brake, I even did it more than once today ...
And you made it home to post so god bless you and I mean it bro.

I only post what I know gained by real life experiences. Not what a link said or what someone says they read or heard someone else say.

What I do know is no matter what the rear wheel, that provides at the most 30% of braking power will always spin when engine braking. A brake can lock it up easy. There is no way the engine can assist in braking when also applying the brake. Not possible. I dont care what any link says if it dont work on the road.

At my work we are required to take a BRC or advanced rider course every 3 years. Just took my 3rd class. I learn something new at every class and engine braking along with brake braking is something they never mention or teach. It will just confuse the learning process for the noobs there.

Maybe in 2019 if I find a sweet deal on a less than 1000 mile 2014 XL with standard ABS that still works I will get to know the advantage of ABS, and I look forward to it. Till then the brakes will brake and the engine will be for going fast.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shift up and I shift down, I shift to help with braking. I don't down shift that much in the rain but if it's sunny I down shift a lot. When it's cloudy I don't shift at all. If it's snowing I watch TV..

Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

amatures

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Joesim1212
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I down shift. I don't really feel the need to take off real fast. I don't want to break anything.