Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster won’t start, just clicks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
MM5King
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster won’t start, just clicks...

I have a 2009 Nightster that won’t start it just clicks. The problem started a while ago with slow starting (when Start was pressed it would hesitate slightly before starting) and then later I would have to press Start twice (1st time just clicking from solenoid) to get it to start, then it just started clicking (rapidly without starting). I swapped the relays, removed and cleaned all Battery wire connections (with dremell and wire wheel),removed, cleaned & greased all fuses, replaced battery, replaced starter (with All ***** 1.4kw Starter), it’s not throwing any codes and all I all get now is a single “click” accompanied with the lights dimming... and a sad face.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you check your kickstand kill switch (if your bike has one)?

Did you check the health of the stator?

Are you keeping the battery charged with a tender at night?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a battery issue for sure. Had the same thing before I got a tender/trickle charger.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:28 PM
MM5King
Stage III

put the new battery on a trickle charger for 24+ hours prior to install (it was at 12.9 volts) swapping between old battery (that I also charged for 24+ hours at 12.7 volts) and new battery makes no difference. I’m super bummed and the old lady wants to ride...

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM
MM5King
Stage III

Oh! and thanks for the speedy replys (I’m really impressed and appreciate your time) Just crawled under the Nightster and no kickstand switch.

Last edited by MM5King; 09-09-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Double check your battery connections (not just at the battery)

Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn.

Sounds like that rules out the battery or battery charging issues.

Have you inspected the health of the ground strap from the battery to the engine? My rubbermount engine has the strap at the rear, near the main pivot for the rear swing arm, you can see it if you are looking up at the oil drain hose.

Did you check the connection at the ECU? If that is loose, I suppose maybe it could produce some bad/strange behavior.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
parrishbjj
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MM5King
put the new battery on a trickle charger for 24+ hours prior to install (it was at 12.9 volts) swapping between old battery (that I also charged for 24+ hours at 12.7 volts) and new battery makes no difference. I’m super bummed and the old lady wants to ride...

Well cant help much with the starting issue, but my bike is running just fine so if your old lady wants to come for a ride till yours is back up and running let me know. Just doing my part...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My bike did the exact same thing.....the trip counter would even zero out when it would turn over really slow....then it would start. New battery and all is well. Try jumper cables off your car just out of curiosity and see if it lights off. Check your positive cable all the way down and make sure there are no holes worn into the cover anywhere. You'd be surprised.....even new batteries can be screwed out of the box.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 PM
hpotter
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MM5King
I have a 2009 Nightster that won’t start it just clicks. The problem started a while ago with slow starting (when Start was pressed it would hesitate slightly before starting) and then later I would have to press Start twice (1st time just clicking from solenoid) to get it to start, then it just started clicking (rapidly without starting). I swapped the relays, removed and cleaned all Battery wire connections (with dremell and wire wheel),removed, cleaned & greased all fuses, replaced battery, replaced starter (with All ***** 1.4kw Starter), it’s not throwing any codes and all I all get now is a single “click” accompanied with the lights dimming... and a sad face.
Exactly same symptom before the battery on my 2008 dead eventually.

Quick Reply: Nightster won’t start, just clicks...