Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby cover screw thread stripped...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 AM
GibsonSG05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Derby cover screw thread stripped...

Tonight I was did a transmission fluid change on my 05 Sportster for the first time. Everything was going ok until I went to screw on the derby cover. I screwed in the first 5 screws just fine and used anti-seize on them. When it came to the last screw (closest to the clutch cable) I began to tighten it and noticed that it wasn't tightening. I just did the other 5 screws exactly the same with no problem and I didn't muscle any of them tight. I removed the screw and found some metal shavings on it.

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? Will it be fine for now since the other 5 screws are fine? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 AM
JimA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helicoil. Happened to me after a crash. It's fairly easy to do. Just watch out for metal flakes...

Here's a quick explanation I found on google:
http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co....ille/helicoil/

Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by GibsonSG05
Tonight I was did a transmission fluid change on my 05 Sportster for the first time.
It is too late now, but there are many posts about NOT refilling through the derby cover. It is easier to refill through the cover over the primary chain.

Ron

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
It is too late now, but there are many posts about NOT refilling through the derby cover. It is easier to refill through the cover over the primary chain.

Ron
postva link please. I gonna do that on the next go round.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Tonight I was did a transmission fluid change on my 05 Sportster for the first time. Everything was going ok until I went to screw on the derby cover. I screwed in the first 5 screws just fine and used anti-seize on them. When it came to the last screw (closest to the clutch cable) I began to tighten it and noticed that it wasn't tightening. I just did the other 5 screws exactly the same with no problem and I didn't muscle any of them tight. I removed the screw and found some metal shavings on it.

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? Will it be fine for now since the other 5 screws are fine? Thanks for any help.

Itvhappened to me on the derby cover and the rocker box covers. I helicoiled the rocker box. The derby I let be. I dont know what they make these parts out of but it's cheap.

I'll replace the entire primary cover later.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It chaps my hide when this happens. I think I have a coil in each of the screw holes at this point. One I've done twice now. I torque them in the right order and on the low side of the required inch pounds but the damn things go any way! And if you adjust your clutch like your supposed to you gotta take the damn thing off instead of the easy fill method.

Oh well. A stripped Harley screw is better than a "Bolt" any day. Get it? A Bolt. I crack myself up.

Allen

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Allen Riggs
Oh well. A stripped Harley screw is better than a "Bolt" any day. Get it? A Bolt. I crack myself up.

Allen
Actually some people replace the 'torx' with 'Allen head', (hex) bolts.

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-06-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
postva link please. I gonna do that on the next go round.
Go to the 'search' near the top of the screen. Search for the posts about "refill through chain inspection". That will show you several posts from different people on this subject. If you want more info, try more searches with slightly different search terms.

Ron

Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Actually some people replace the 'torx' with 'Allen head', (hex) bolts.
I dont think yamaha makes allen heads.

Quick Reply: Derby cover screw thread stripped...