Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Breather Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 10:31 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer

Why do you sit in traffic? Is it illegal to lane split in your state? In Calif. it's legal to lane split as long as you don't go over 10 mph faster than the traffic you're splitting. I know it can be dangerous to do. You have to watch the idiots in cars not changing lanes, squeezing you out, opening doors, throwing coffee or cigarettes out. spitting, etc.. Also here motorcycles can use the Diamond lane or car pool lane. Part of the benefit of riding a bike is to get through traffic faster

Old 08-26-2013 | 11:27 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Harley tests their bikes by allowing them to run idle in the desert for 24 hours. This is done at their proving grounds in Arizona.

You would have to try to overheat your bike, assuming its running well and not crazy lean.
I figured they overbuilt somewhat, but 24 hour desert test? What season?
Nice to hear.

John

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:38 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
Why do you sit in traffic? Is it illegal to lane split in your state? In Calif. it's legal to lane split as long as you don't go over 10 mph faster than the traffic you're splitting. I know it can be dangerous to do. You have to watch the idiots in cars not changing lanes, squeezing you out, opening doors, throwing coffee or cigarettes out. spitting, etc.. Also here motorcycles can use the Diamond lane or car pool lane. Part of the benefit of riding a bike is to get through traffic faster
I'm pretty sure CA is the only state that allows lane splitting.

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:57 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Give us a call here at the shop..... I will let you talk to someone here that will probably be able to help you out some.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-27-2013 | 06:36 PM
Ployd4
Road Master

I use the shoulder no lane splitting in Washington.

Old 08-27-2013 | 06:41 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Harley tests their bikes by allowing them to run idle in the desert for 24 hours. This is done at their proving grounds in Arizona.

You would have to try to overheat your bike, assuming its running well and not crazy lean.

Old 08-27-2013 | 07:26 PM
misput
Tourer

I have a friend who got caught in traffic in Arizona in over 100 degree heat and ended up shipping his bike home and buying a new engine.

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:17 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
man I find that hard to believe...where did you see that?
I can confirm H-D proving grounds are in Arizona.

And in my expert opinion, powertrain testing is much more likely to occur in Milwaukee where it can be controlled and regulated.

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:17 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I can confirm H-D proving grounds are in Arizona.

And in my expert opinion, powertrain testing is much more likely to occur in Milwaukee where it can be controlled and regulated.
Durability testing is done in Yucca, AZ.

I used to work for a company that helped HD with its R&D research, I was specifically involved with vehicle data acquisition. Our DAQ system is on display in the museum in Milwaukee.

To show this, take a look at the jobs Harley has open right now, you will see things like "Durability test engineer" listed in Arizona:

http://jobs.harley-davidson.com/key/...zona-jobs.html

Old 08-28-2013 | 09:49 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Durability testing is done in Yucca, AZ.

I used to work for a company that helped HD with its R&D research, I was specifically involved with vehicle data acquisition. Our DAQ system is on display in the museum in Milwaukee.

To show this, take a look at the jobs Harley has open right now, you will see things like "Durability test engineer" listed in Arizona:

http://jobs.harley-davidson.com/key/...zona-jobs.html
Ah, well that makes sense. Because I know for a fact powertrain development/emissions/all that is based out of Milwaukee. The durability testing in AZ makes perfect sense though. That's where we run through all the suspension tuning as well. Awesome place.

PS I've always wondered, considering your username and pic, how you got stuck in Illinois?

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 08-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Smoking Breather Bolts