Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobbin the fender sparto sytle tail-light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 AM
deadskull
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bobbin the fender sparto sytle tail-light?

yeah, i work there, no pics of my bike on the website yet, its more of a project i work on, not a shop bike, so johnny likes to keep the bikes shown reserved for the "choppers". if you keep your eyes on the galleries, there will likely be pics of my bike soon, as i am going to be showing it at AZ bike week at the Cardinals Stadium for the Nitro-Syndicate Motorcycle Expo. i too have always loved the Exile look, so naturally I followed both Russell and Johnny's careers closely for years. when i moved out to AZ, i looked Johnny up, and the rest is history . heres a better shot of the bars

Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
dr_trousers
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: MidWest XL

There are lots of options out there. Take your time and look around. J & P have a pretty wide selection. I chose the Sparto before I bobbed my fender. I picked up a newer "improved" model that produces a brighter light. I also picked up a run-turn-brake light module for my turnsignals just to brighten things up back there. I couldn't find a newer-style sparto without the license plate mount so I ended up powdercoating mine black It blends right in to the fender and I don't even notice it:

Hope this helps
Dude, I LOVE the look of your bike. I actually started a thread about bobbing the tail. Did you do the work yourself? If you did, was it hard? and did it require a lift? And can you have a two up seat with that? Sorry about all the questions, but as soon as I get my bike out of storage, I am set to do the work.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
deadskull
Cruiser

i did it all myself, i did have a lift, but only used it because i was changing my tires at the same time/ none of the work was necessary with a lift, i could have done it all on the ground easily. most of the work was really easy, i used a makita handheld cut-off wheel for most of the work, it was easy just trimming the sparto and flush mounting it from under the fender. you can use a two up seat, if you have it set in place while getting the placement of the taillight, or you can use a suction cup pillion pad (aka bitch pad), thats what i use, its much easier.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
MidWest XL
Tourer

Just what DS said. I picked up a used fender off of eBay. I laid some painter's tape down & marked where I wanted to cut and used a hand-held cut off wheel and had a buddy paint it for me. The lift helps. I removed the top shock bolt and lifted the bike up so the tire would drop and give me more room to get at the fender & rewiring. I used the hole for the seat screw of the 2-up seat mount to run my wires for the tail light through. I'd have to get one of the suction cup p-pads if my wife wanted to ride along. Which, actually, isn't that bad of an idea,but she only rode with me once before I bobbed the fender, so...

DS obviously has more fabrication skills than I do. That flush mount tail light that he did looks flawless!