Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me if you think this is true.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Charley, Dustys purpose is to say the opposite of what anyone else says. And he uses his imaginary bike and friends to try and prove his point
+1^ and I thought it was just me!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

This thread is an interesting read.

Here are my 2 cents about 07-Up Sportys.

The information in the article mentioned by the OP is accurate, and there have been many such articles in various mags over the last few years.

The ECM does adapt. It will bring/keep the closed loop AFR to EPA required of 14.6:1 -14.7:1

This applies to an open A/C or open exhaust, and sometimes even both.

It (the ECM) will also make adjustments in the open loop, via adaptive learning, although not as well.

Many of us are not happy with the 14.6:1 AFR in closed loop. The leaness results in low RPM stumbling and less than smooth acceleration. However, it does not seem to damage the engine, it just compromises riding enjoyment for some of us.

The above is true regardless of any A/C or exhaust mods.

This is why many of us use an XiED family product (budget) or a full tuner to get a richer AFR in closed and open loop.

Below is a brief explanation of how the current HD EFI works in regards to adapting to different conditions.

There are two ways the Electronic Control Module (ECM) adapts:

First, let's look at what input the ECM receives, so we know what it has to work with to make any "Adaptive" changes-

1. CKP - (Crankshaft Position Sensor): Basically this sensor monitors the crankshaft speed and position. The ECM uses the inputs from the sensor to determine what stroke the engine is in so it can deliver the fuel and spark at the desired time...

. MAP - (Manifold Absolute Pressure): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much air is entering the engine.

. IAT - (Intake Air Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much oxygen exists in a particular volume of air.

. ET - (Engine Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to determine engine temperature...

. TP - (Throttle Position): Provides input to the ECM as it reacts to throttle shaft rotation... These signals indicate throttle position, if the throttle is opening or closing and how fast it is opening and closing...

6. VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor): Provides input signals to the ECM to indicate the speed of the motorcycle...

. BAS (Bank Angle Sensor): If the motorcycle leans over more than 45 degree's from vertical... If the ECM receives this input for more than one second it assumes the motorcycle has f
allen over and shuts down the fuel management and ignition circuit...

. O2 Sensor: The are switching type sensors (stock HD's are narrow band sensors used in closed loop systems) they provide inputs to the ECM based on the amount of oxygen is being sent in the exhaust system...

. ISS (Ion Sensing System): It detects detonation or engine misfire in either the front or rear cylinder by monitoring the electrical energy at the spark plug following every time spark...
If an abnormal level of energy is detected across two or three spark firings the ECM responds by retarding the spark timing in the affected cylinder as needed to eliminate it...

All of the above sensors give data to the ECM to allow it to ADAPT to the ever-changing environment. This is one of the ways the ECM ADAPTS.

The second way the ECM ADAPTS is via "Adaptive Fuel Value" or "Adaptive Fuel" (reference the HD brand Tuners to see that this is a feature of the ECM) This is commonly what is referred to as the Adaptive Learning Mode.

Adaptive Fuel is known generally in the EFI world as Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT).

When in closed loop the ECM uses the information from the above list to calculate airflow, load, temperatures, throttle position, to adapt and maintain the targeted AFR in the closed loop section of the map.

It then uses the o2 sensors to determine what the AFR actually is. If there is a difference, the ECM makes an adjustment real time to the closed loop map, AND stores the difference in an "Adaptive Fuel Value" cell for future use in Open Loop. (again, reference the HD Brand Tuners to verify that there is an Adaptive Fuel Value" that is stored in the ECM and that is constantly changing)

Over time (sources vary between 30-120 minutes of riding) the Adaptive Fuel Value develops a correction profile that is applied to each cell of the map in open loop.

To put it another way, when the ECM sees the closed loop values constantly being richer than expected (like when using an XiED family product), the Long Term Fuel Trim (Adaptive Fuel Value) is increased, resulting in a richening up of the open loop values.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's been some real positive feedback and informative posts in this thread, thanks to those who contributed an opinion based on the OP!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by iVoll
Even if you do nothing to your bike, you can put new pipes and the air cleaner upgrade. The ECM will automatically compensate for the changes, bring the fuel mixture back to OEM. This is a design feature of closed loop ECM's like the HD Delphi.

So your fuel mixture will not go 'lean', it just will not get any better. Riders and Mechanics do not understand the HD closed loop ECM, so they try to scare everyone into getting expensive downloads or tuning. None of this is required, but it is nice to add extra fuel for improved performance.

Using the X14iED will richen the closed loop mixture from 14.6 to 14.0, and add about 6% more fuel in open loop for heavy/full throttle.
What he said, and Kevin from DK products! I had V&H Big Shots and an SE Heavy Breather A/C installed when I picked up my 2011 FXDWG, and the dealer told me not to waste my $$ on the download. And so I discovered that the consensus on the Forum is exactly that.

Now, that said, and having melted a piston (or two or three) on leaned-out marine racing engines, I made the decision to put a set of XiED's on, and now I have a sense that I'm protected from an over lean condition. This sounds like a reasonable compromise for the time being. BUT this is not substitute for a proper tuner and a dyno to maximize performance from a given configuration.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 08-08-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo