Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sissy Bars

I'm thinking about getting a sissy bar for 2 reasons

1. When I go to work on the bike I can just strap my backpack or anything to the bar.

2.The girlfriend I think would ride better with one knowing she isn't gonna fall straight back.

I've only seen a few, I REALLY like the black tall one from HD but 260 bucks seems step for a sissy bar. Where else can I look, and pictures of your current set up would be awesome!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/1-piece-detach-sissy-bar-upright

There is the one I'm looking at, anyone got this one?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a sissy bar for the same two reasons you are looking into one. I really liked that tall one too, but couldn't see spending that kind of coin on it, plus I wasn't sure how it would look on my Custom model, though they look great on the other models.

The previous owner had a detachable "mini" sissy bar, which was pretty worthless, I think it was more for looks than anything. I replaced it with a "medium low" quick detachable setup, and that works great for both the wife, and four strapping my roll bag to when I go to work.

One alternative, if you are really concerned about looks, is to run the sissy bar without the pad until your GF wants a ride. I thought about that, but my wife went from wanting a ride once every couple weeks, to the point now where I can't even start the bike without her running outside asking to go with me, not that I'm complaining.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I just got the one piece for my nightster, looks great, love it! I 'll take a pic tonight and post it for you.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion the best sissy bars are from Bowman Welding, a small welding shop in Texas. You can buy them on eBay.

They're a one piece design that fits between the fender and strut for a really clean look. The only disadvantage is that they aren't detachable but they look so good you wont want to take it off (unlike the ugly, bulky HD ones).

Here is their eBay link http://www.ebay.com/sch/raybowtieman...&_trksid=p3686

Pics of the bar on my bike -

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That does look killer

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 AM
blackknight883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do those Bowman bars run? I cant load Ebay at work.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blackknight883
How much do those Bowman bars run? I cant load Ebay at work.
$250. Not cheap but they have a lifetime warranty although I doubt you'll ever need it. The construction is flawless on it

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

The bowman sissy bar looks nice, but not much better than this one: (at least to my eyes) http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=52300040

And the stainless version (I need silver, not black) costs twice as much as the one I linked. And as you noted, detachable. Gonna be HD for me this time.. soon as I've got the spare change.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BluBeaSSt
I'm thinking about getting a sissy bar for 2 reasons

1. When I go to work on the bike I can just strap my backpack or anything to the bar.

2.The girlfriend I think would ride better with one knowing she isn't gonna fall straight back.

I've only seen a few, I REALLY like the black tall one from HD but 260 bucks seems step for a sissy bar. Where else can I look, and pictures of your current set up would be awesome!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...sy-bar-upright

There is the one I'm looking at, anyone got this one?

OP I have that exact bar and backrest pad that I've been thinking about selling. PM me if you're interested.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hd detachable system is far from worthless. It's sturdy as hell and is great when you are visiting somewhere a bit shady and want to carry your bags on the bar or leave them somewhere safe without unpacking the rolls(jacket, raingear, fuel, sleeping roll etc). The bar also has a backrest option unlike the custom one shown here (which does look great btw!). I bought the HD bar for the options of form and function. bulky? On the side rails? yup! I want the bulk where it counts when my lady is leaning back on it. I paid 230 for the entire detach bar and docks. cheers.

Quick Reply: Sissy Bars