Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 883 Custom starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM
2003_sportster
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 883 Custom starting issues

Hey guys first post on the HDforums and its because of an issue I am having! ( Anyway here is the scenario:

Replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, and a put a brand new battery in it. Bike is an 03 883 Custom with about 2500 miles on it. The bike is definitely getting fuel but not spark. I grounded out each plug to the head and not showing spark.

YESTERDAY, the bike started right up, drove up and down the street incase it died because thats what happened last time and now the bike wont start at all. The time it died on me was about last week. Started right up got maybe 5 minutes of driving and died. (Like the kill switch was hit) Bike wouldn't start again and so forth. So yesterday comes along bike started up no problem drove it up and down the street; as mentioned before, and today it wouldn't start at all.

The next thing I am going to look into doing is replacing the ignition module.. Can anyone give me some insight, or maybe some one on here have or had the same issues? Thanks a bunch guys, looking for some input.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Welcome to HDF from the UK. Don't start replacing stuff just because it seems like a good idea! That can get ruinously expensive and there is no guarantee you will solve the problem.

Remove your new battery and charge it up over night on a proper battery charger. Just because it is new does not guarantee it is fully charged. Having done that refit it with care and check both ends of the main battery leads, to make sure they are clean and tight. Start with the most difficult one!

Check everything you did when installing your new stuff, to ensure connections are correct, clean and tight. If your bike was running fine before, it will run fine again, just as soon as you put right that which is currently wrong!

Finally, the more you tell us the more we can help. Why did you fit all those new things?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
2003_sportster
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the help! Thank you. Checked the battery before and after the charging cycle with a multimeter and the voltage is just fine.. I replaced all of those things I mentioned because the bike was giving me starting issues. The bike wasn't seem to getting spark 100%. Would ground out the plugs and they weren't sparking. So I replaced the plugs, then the plug wires, then the ignition coil. Seem to be just a chain of replacements because the bike would not spark so my last thing I'm going to replace is the ignition module and go from there.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Before you buy anything else there are other things that can cause your problem, such as the handlebar kill switch, even the ignition switch. It would be worth checking continuity of the ignition system wiring with your meter. For example if your plugs are not sparking there are several connectors and wires along the harness that can interrupt supply.

Does your bike have non-stock handlebars? If so you may have a pinched wire inside the switch housing. Be suspicious! Seek out opportunities that previous owners have had to mess things up for you, by swapping stock things for aftermarket ones. They don't have to be electrical, but might have interfered with your electrics.