Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with Bad Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
MSGTUSMC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with Bad Voltage Regulator

Is it safe to ride with a bad voltage regulator? I have a 2012 Harley Sportster 48 and the engine light and battery light came on. I called the dealership in New Bern NC who told me the bike had a recall for bad regulators. So I bring my bike in and they clear the code and test ride and tell me that it is fixed. About an hour into my drive the same lights came on so I found the service bulletin on the voltage regulators recall and sure enough it is supposed to be replaced. Dealership is now closed until Tuesday my question is will it be o.k. to still ride or will cause harm or possibly not start. I have no problems just lights come on every now and then. I would hate not to put my knees in the breeze for a few days. Any thought is much appreciated.

Active Duty MSgt of MArines

Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

You need to figure out whether the regulator is dead or intermittent. With the motor running at a fast idle (2,000 rpm) measure the voltage across the battery. If you have less than 13.5 volts, your charging system is not working. If your going to ride it, prepare to be stranded.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't ride it till its fixed. If its overcharging or under as well you run the poss. Of ruining sensitive electronics resulting in years of headaches.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM
MSGTUSMC
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick responses, frustrating because I just took it there and they told me everything checked out? Reckon I drive my car with head out of the window.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

The 2012 regulator Service Bulletin called for the affected regulators to be replaced whether they were still working or not. If your dealer knew of the Service Bulletin, he should have replaced the regulator regardless.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your dealer didn't know about the Service Bulletin or check if your bike applies to it find a new dealer.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure there is a known issue w the regulators covered under waranty. Try a dif dealer.
Don't ride until it's fixed. It can/will cut out and not start. cheers.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Red face

Further to the above, there are two things that can happen with a defective regulator: 1. it stops charging the battery, which you become dependent on and will steadily discharge while riding until eventually your bike stops working; 2. it over-charges the battery and can cause damage either to it or other parts of your bike's electrics, which will also stop the bike, but risks additional replacements and expense.

Or in other words get it fixed!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,375 Likes on 4,990 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
The 2012 regulator Service Bulletin called for the affected regulators to be replaced whether they were still working or not. If your dealer knew of the Service Bulletin, he should have replaced the regulator regardless.
Affected regulators are the key words here. If they checked the system out and the regulator was a unit that was not affected by the Service Bulletin, they would not change it. The only way to really know why it was not changed would be to ask them...

I agree with the other posters, don`t ride the bike until the problem is resolved.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM
MSGTUSMC
6th Gear

My regulator missed the service date by one week. I would hope that they checked everything out instead of clearing the code on computer. Needless to say I am not happy with the service. When they open up on Tuesday I am going to ask what was performed and ask when I can bring it in to replace regulator. I also saw that there was a service bulletin for spokes< M1326, even though I have had no problems with my wheels do you think I should ask them to look at it. Does anyone have the actual bulletin that I can print off and take with me? Thanks again for such support from my fellow riders.

Quick Reply: Riding with Bad Voltage Regulator