Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Low" trend, when will it end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grancuda
Good job, you found a pic of an early all out Honda race bike & some early standards with fairings added. Not sure you understand. Harley made plenty tall handling bikes when the the Japanese made real sportbikes but the handling Harley didnt sell. Harley sport bikes just don't sell in this day & age, period.
I concur..

That probably had something to do with Buell closing in 2009. Harley just isn't a big sportbike competitor, the name just never was synonymous with that type of racing.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
I guess I'll see if I can borrow a friends Go-Pro for the next time we hit Deals Gap. I come from the Sportbike world and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in riding Dragon with my Iron vs my others in the past (Ducs, MVs and Kawa); which should be common sense for everyone here as to why. I have no problem riding like that dude on that Goldwing but yes, i have ground off my forward control rubber on the pegs due to it. Also, it's not fun, partly because I ride with 16" ape/Z's, but nevertheless, the ride characteristics of this bike are more for dirt track and drag than twisties. The guys that would get better use of this type of riding are the Cafe Racer converts.

I'm not sure I like being referred to as a bar hopper because I ride a lowered Sporty. I probably put at least 6-8K per year on it and that's not around town driving. If it weren't for such a drag low volume tank, I would out ride most of my Touring/Bagger brothers on stretches. I've done anywhere from 300mi to over 700 mi in a day on it. The only thing that gets old is the windsail I create running these apes, so my shoulders get a little tired from trying not to get blown off.
Well, Iron is still low, but ain't SuperLow

883 Superlow - 24.7 / 24.4
883 Iron - 29 / 30

Substantial difference. Still not 40, but not 24 either
So I guess unless you're severely height-challenged or like low-riding style, why would you buy it?

Btw, how that spring seat feels on 300+ miles rides? or you have another one for longer rides?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
Harley just isn't a big sportbike competitor, the name just never was synonymous with that type of racing.

I wouldnt' say never was, just not within the past 20 years.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc1200
Other than that black and white ad, the rest are from the 1980s. Here are some Japanese bikes from that same era, so your argument there is wrong. The Sportster has never meant to compete with the Jap bikes, it's just always been Harley's sport bike. It's a shame it's now been dumbed down for the consumers.

Dumbed down? Don't agree with that, it's a different day and age and I happen to like my 1200 as is. Wouldn't want a fake sports bike, love the lighter Harley...

\m/

Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by izhd
Well, Iron is still low, but ain't SuperLow

883 Superlow - 24.7 / 24.4
883 Iron - 29 / 30

Substantial difference. Still not 40, but not 24 either
So I guess unless you're severely height-challenged or like low-riding style, why would you buy it?

Btw, how that spring seat feels on 300+ miles rides? or you have another one for longer rides?
You have to remember though, those figures are for the stock heights. My Iron has road king air shocks that have been cut by Bitchin' Baggers to 10.5. My front has been lowered as well. So that puts my lean angle probably pretty close with a SL, not sure though..i'm not measuring it

Some people bark at the air shocks with spring seat, GASP! (they say it's supposed to be one or the other; I say **** 'em, i'm not normal by any means)..but I tell you, it rides like butter. I just wish my *** had some more padding to it.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
jbc1200
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't saying that the Sportster ever was, or is now, a wannabe sport bike. All I'm saying is that the Sportster had better cornering performance on older models than it does now, which is generally odd for a vehicle. *Most* cars or motorcycles get better over time as technology improves. Going backwards for the sake of fashion just seems odd to me, especially since the essence of the Sportster has always been a simple no-frills motorcycle that leaned toward performance as much as reasonably possible.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been riding for forty five years. I've ridden Japanese, British and American. I am 5'-11" and remember having to almost tip-toe at stops on all those bikes. I have a 98 1200custom now. I can ride it as hard as any of the old school bikes of the day. Bikes have evolved to the sport bikes we have today. Bikes have gones in several different directions which is great for riders. You just get a bike for the type of riding you want to do or ride the way the bike was built to ride that you chose.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NooneOfConsequence
Your "R" is EXACTLY what I'm talking about; still VERY much a Sportster in appearance but with a functional ride heigth and enough clearance to have fun with.
I think the XR was just a little "too far" for most as it didn't really "look" like a traditional Sportster any more and the price was pretty rediculious.
H-D still makes the 883R,
but it is for export only.

Isn't the European market 883 Iron taller?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c0jones

They used to be. My Nightster came with 13.5" shocks, but I see the iron set hight is the same as the poster above.

Anyway...the XR died out i.f.o. the low bikes. I'd have bought one if it wasn't for the money and a 2008 XL1200N on the cheap

Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Webdude75
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c0jones

Yep, irons here come with 13" shocks.

I swapped those out for 12" progressives (I'm a short guy) and scrapped the pegs on nearly every turn on the first ride.

Not anymore though, as mentioned here plenty of times, it's how you ride it. First time I got the iron with the 13" I scrapped a lot... But that's because I came from a Kawasaki zx6r where I was use to hugging the corners.

I take corners just as fast on the iron now, with no problems. Just... Differently!