Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo Run-around: Stage 1 download "falling out"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM
dave anderson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to dealer and he did the Screaming Eagle stage three download which he said will do wonders for a stage 1bike if you know your service tech there at your dealership just ask for the Screaming Eagle stage 3 download it works great with my open air cleaner Rinehart exhaust and Andrews 21 cams my spark plugs have a light coffee brown tint now I have put about 5,000 miles on it couldn't ask for no better

Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave anderson
I went to dealer and he did the Screaming Eagle stage three download which he said will do wonders for a stage 1bike if you know your service tech there at your dealership just ask for the Screaming Eagle stage 3 download it works great with my open air cleaner Rinehart exhaust and Andrews 21 cams my spark plugs have a light coffee brown tint now I have put about 5,000 miles on it couldn't ask for no better
Stage 3 with no head work? Err...

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
jmale1972
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjöld
Number three is right. The other two are out to lunch.

I would personally recommend a third party turner, though.
+1 especially on the tuner, but if your cash flow is restricted do some research on xieds.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

#3 sounds like the only decent dealer

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by W1ldC4t
Planning on going with a stage 1 upgrade to the 2013 Iron (DK Customs intake, Cycle Shack slip ons) and have been considering paying the all mighty MoCo for a download.

I talked to 3 different dealers in my area, and can't get a consensus from them.

Dealer #1 said "no problem, we do the stage 1 download all the time, works great. By the way, it is designed only for SE products, so if you use something else, YMMV."

Fair enough.

Dealer #2 said, "We don't do them, simple as that. They don't work well in Denver because of our altitude, we have lots of customers come back complaining that the bike doesn't run well after some time. The download 'falls out' and doesn't work very well. We recommend a full dyno tune, by the way, that'll be $850"

Ohhh kayy, now I'm confused.

Dealer #3 said, "You can do the download, or the dyno tune. Download is EPA compliant and will 'richen up' the fuel mixture, but only to the extent allowable by the EPA, which means you'll be back at the factory lean settings, but it will be adjusted for the new intake / exhaust. We have seen lots of people use 3rd party fuel management systems with great luck. We don't service them, or necessarily recommend them, but, I'm telling you, my experience is that most people are fine with either the DL, Dyno tune, or 3rd party products."

Sounds reasonable enough, so I asked about the DL "falling out."

Dealer #3 "never heard of that happening, when you do the DL, we adjust the settings in the ECU, that shouldn't ever change with time if you don't overwrite, or otherwise modify the download."

...hunh...

So, my question for you all: where's the line in the sand here, is Dealer #2 just trying to sell me on the more expensive dyno tune, or, is this "falling out" of the download a real thing, and something I need to be aware of? Any experience with "bad downloads" or something along those lines? Lastly, I know I'm over thinking this, but, should I just go with an aftermarket tuner and forget the dealer? I feel like I got the run-around from all of them...
#1 is trying to sell you expensive parts.

#2 is trying to sell you expensive service.

#3 is being honest.

But here is the deal: anything EPA compliant is a waste of money.

EPA compliant systems or tunes do nothing to change your air fuel mixture in the closed loop part of you throttle/RPM range. What that means is anything from 1% throttle to 45% AND from 0 to 4500 RPMs is completely untouched!

What all of that really means is that you are STILL running lean in the range where you spend most of your time.

Save your money and go with either X14iED or INVEST your money with the power commander 5. Do not go with FuelPak or you'll regret it I the long run.

A fuel map cannot simply fall out. It's not a screw! I have done a lot of research on this very subject and please trust me, avoid stage 1 and fuelpak.

One more thing, if you get PCV, get it from fuel moto. I didn't and THAT I regret. I got mine directly from DynoJet and I wish I had gone through FuelMoto. The MAP support from FuelMoto is worth the extra $20.

Good luck!

Allen