Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues seeing with flipped mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM
huntrowmar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues seeing with flipped mirrors?

When I bought my first Harley this year (2013 Iron 883), I had the dealership flip my mirrors. I've read from a lot of people about how they have issues seeing nothing but arms.

However, I could never adjust the mirrors the correct way to view what's behind me when I had them flipped down. I ended up putting them on top ( and have the elbow/arm issue ).

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm 6 ft tall. Maybe my torso is too long to properly view what's behind me when the mirrors are flipped down??? Seems like the only way I could see behind me is if I crouched down in an uncomfortable position (and distracting my riding).

Thank you!!!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 AM
lateralus
Tourer

when mine were flipped i could see everything behind me. Just took some adjustment to get it perfect.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You say you're 6' tall, but not how wide you are

But seriously, I'm 6' also and even at my 220+ weight and with my ahem, slightly protruding belly, I have no problems seeing what's behind me in both of the flipped mirrors on my '09 Iron. But I mean let's face it, there's not an aweful lot of mirror real estate there anyway, making your final adjustment a real sweet spot! As far as I know the bars AND mirrors on both our bikes should be the same, so...

Anyway, I'd try them again in the flipped position and make sure that the stems are physically out as far as they can be [perpendicular to the bike] then slowly and patiently make your adjustments to the mirrors. If you still can't see like you should then you can always purchase the longer stem black mirrors from the MoCo, they're $34.95 each, or of coarse go aftermarket for less/more I suppose. I know, 'prolly not the answer you wanted to hear but at least you have those options.

=8^)

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Drew makes a good point about the stems ... that is the place you need to focus you adjusting on. Looks like they are straight so torque em down right? Wrong. They swivel left to right. Make sure that adjustment is good. Then work on the face of the mirror. Keep it a little loose too. As you adjust the face, swivel it to see if it improves for you.

All else fails, I have seen a few that bent the stems in a vice to get the angle they needed.

Either way, the lower position should get you a better visability of what is behind and along side you.

Its all about safety with the bonus that it looks cooler too.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flipped mine a few weeks ago and agree visibility is improved. Unless I have a baggy shirt on then things get a little obscured. Those longer stemmed models Drew mentioned my be in my future. I'm running 12" mini's apes, so the mirrors look straight back parallel to my arms.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Try loosening the nut and rotating the mirrors, then adjust them on the pivot.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
huntrowmar
1st Gear

I'll go ahead and give it another try. When I previously flipped them, the stems were hidden behind the handlebar. When I moved them in close (closer to the tank), I wasn't able to swivel the mirror far enough on the pivot to get the correct angle. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
blackknight883
Tourer

I found visibility to be drastically improved when I flipped my mirrors.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by huntrowmar
I'll go ahead and give it another try. When I previously flipped them, the stems were hidden behind the handlebar. When I moved them in close (closer to the tank), I wasn't able to swivel the mirror far enough on the pivot to get the correct angle. Hopefully I can get it figured out.
Wait a minute...hidden behind the handlebar? 'Not following this...and this is gonna' sound silly but, you do know that when flipping the mirrors you take the one that was originally on the [top of the] left side and mount it on the underside of the right side, and visa versa? Left --> right...right --> left. Otherwise if you just flipped them in their original positions holy cow they'd be a foot or so apart and you'd have a great view of the front and sides of your fuel tank! Also, I had to reposition my front signals inbound for clearance of the mirror stems...there's an allen bolt in the front that you loosen, that will then allow each light to pivot on it's ball swivel out of the way of the stem.

Edit: sorry man, I had some random thoughts and slapped myself upside the head/changed/added to my response above but yeah pics would definately be helpful!

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 07-19-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
huntrowmar
1st Gear

Sure. I'll flip them tonight and take a picture to explain what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Issues seeing with flipped mirrors?