Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In defense of the Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I would never ride at over 90 mph for hours on end on my Sporty as it's currently setup. My gas mileage starts dropping like a stone above 80. I'm sure as an 883 if I were to change the gear ratio that would improve a little. But that would ruin the bottom end in urban traffic. So the ends wouldn't justify the means.

If I had a 1200/1250 with the taller gears I could probably get to 85 before the mileage started to get bad. Either way, on a Sporty, cruising at 90+ mph wouldn't be practical. The BTs with their 6th (overdrive I believe) gear makes for better 90 mph cruising as far as gas mileage.

All said, i'm most comfortable going between 75-80 on the slab.
I agree baka. 70 miles an hour is perfect for interstate cruising with the 883 gearing. here in NH i rarely hit the interstate unless we are headed over to the coast for a day at Hampton beach, so I would hate to give up my 883 gearing. most all of my riding is short runs below 65. I would like to throw a 30T sprocket on just to see the difference and how much low end snap would be lost. in my opinion it just is not all that much fun running the 130 miles to the coast with the bigger bikes. it becomes fatiguing after awhile keeping the speeds they find comfortable. maybe i'm just getting old and need to get me a geezer glide. LOL. Now when we run the back roads i'm in my element and can go all day zipping around those guys and beating them from light to light.

Last edited by IRON1250; 07-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpza
Looks as though this thread turned into a "Mines bigger than yours" discussion. I'm new on the forum but I've been riding for a number of years, mostly superbikes. Got my first Harley this year (883 Iron) and I'm loving every moment in the seat.

I've never heard anyone refer to the bike as a ladies bike but again, I've only had it a few months. I think the Sporty is awesome and can't see myself changing to a different model soon.
Congrats on join the Iron club. Owning a sportster is a whole different experience. There are no other bikes like it, many wannbes out there though.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
I agree baka. 70 miles an hour is perfect for interstate cruising with the 883 gearing. here in NH i rarely hit the interstate unless we are headed over to the coast for a day at Hampton beach, so I would hate to give up my 883 gearing. most all of my riding is short runs below 65. I would like to throw a 30T sprocket on just to see the difference and how much low end snap would be lost. in my opinion it just is not all that much fun running the 130 miles to the coast with the bigger bikes. it becomes fatiguing after awhile keeping the speeds they find comfortable. maybe i'm just getting old and need to get me a geezer glide. LOL. Now when we run the back roads i'm in my element and can go all day zipping around those guys and beating them from light to light.
I think if I do eventually go with the 1250 kit I would change to the 1200 gearing. I would believe the grunt I lose at the bottom because of the taller gearing i'd more than makeup for with the added power of the 1250 vs the 883.

I hope to plan on more long trips and would appreciate the lower RPM on the slab.

If course a 6-speed Sporty would be a great alternative. Gears 1-5 could be the 883 gears and the 6th could be an overdrive.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
99% of us are here because we agree. The other 1% couldn't afford a big twin and won't be here long.
well I disagree, the best of both worlds is having bigtwin , and a sportster..

Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

FWIW, I have run my stock 1200 at a continuous 90 mph for for over 2 hour stretches. That's as long as my 4.5 gallon tank will last at that speed. Even with a headwind I still get just over 44 mpg. I've done it more than once and it doesn't seem hard at all on the engine. Still plenty of throttle left as well, and runs fairly smooth at that speed. Although there are less vibs at 85, to me 90 feels perfectly acceptable. The bike handles fine and uses no noticeable oil at that speed, so I figure it's ok. The flow of traffic on the I-15 freeway between Barstow & Vegas does move along at 85-90. So the Cops don't even bother anybody when passing their radar units.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor
well I disagree, the best of both worlds is having bigtwin , and a sportster..
Agreed

Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sporty needs no defense...Ignorance is bliss, and the ignorant are misguided lol

Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is this

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
There are a gazillion more cycle riders in Asia than we have here in the USA and most of them ride bikes with 250cc or less. A lot of them are treated like pack mules by the loads they carry. In Europe the Honda NV-700 which is similarly styled to the Switchback its more than enough machine do anything but they don't sell well in America because of our bigger is better mentality when it comes to bikes, cars, trucks. We also drive the most gas guzzling cars and trucks of any nation in the world.

Harley sells hype and a lot buy into it. This whole girls bike thing is a internet forum based mentality where weekend warriors that rarely ride there bikes/baggers come to feed. I rode a Honda 500 in the early 80s with my 650 Yamaha Special and never heard anybody speak of a small bike. A lot of us rode 650s be it Yamaha, or Kawis.

I ride a 883, I put about 300 miles a week on it commuting and weekend day tripping. I can go 75mph+ down the interstate all day long with the motor purring like a kitten well a loud kitten .. People need to ride there bike and stop trying to justify riding what they do. This internet don't care.
And then there is this

Originally Posted by IRON1250
I was just wondering if he has built his engine or changed his gearing which would have a huge effect on a race with a stock geezer glide. I'm not sure how a stock 1200 would compare to 103" but i do know that my 883 gearing will not keep up on the freeway. it just revs the motor into a range i don't feel comfortable running it at for long periods of time. I don't have much knowledge i'm just telling it as i have seen it on the freeway riding with a street glide. i don't care which is faster and i find no reason to defend the sportster it is an awesome motorcycle, but i can tell you that sportsters are a very slow bike stock. i have ridden a lot of bikes in my day.
How far was the highway ride? I ask because there is not a street glide out there that will beat me home on an 800 mile stretch.

Some riders do it, some riders think it can not be done. If I were to take sky diving lessons would I want them lessons from someone who does it, or someone who thinks they can do it. It just wows me that people make such wild claims about things they never done. And if they have and a sporty didnt do it for them, then they flat out do not know how to ride a sporty. Thinking the revs will hurt a sporty engine, its just thinking. Aint going to happen. I speak from rubber to the slab experience. These thinkers just dont jive with my knows.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 07-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,410 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
There is this

And then there is this

How far was the highway ride? I ask because there is not a street glide out there that will beat me home on an 800 mile stretch.

Some riders do it, some riders think it can not be done. If I were to take sky diving lessons would I want them lessons from someone who does it, or someone who thinks they can do it. It just wows me that people make such wild claims about things they never done. And if they have and a sporty didnt do it for them, then they flat out do not know how to ride a sporty. Thinking the revs will hurt a sporty engine, its just thinking. Aint going to happen. I speak from rubber to the slab experience. These thinkers just dont jive with my knows.
I could have sworn this conversation started on the ability of the Sportster Vs BT ability to travel the distance at speed. Now it has turned into my *** can take more than yours. OK, bend over.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I could have sworn this conversation started on the ability of the Sportster Vs BT ability to travel the distance at speed. Now it has turned into my *** can take more than yours. OK, bend over.
Sounds like a friday night at my place around the bon fire drinkin beer. My crotch rocket buddies, geezer glide buddies all go at it.

One thing everyone needs to know first off is we all aint 6'0" and 205 pounds. Im 5'7" and 164#. A Dyna is too much of a stretch for my legs. I got a 29.5" inseam. Hit the road for 800 miles on a bike that dont fit ya and get back to me. I got a buddy who is shorter than me who just moved up to a mans bike and he cant even fully press the rear brake pedal. After one ride with him on that bike, I wont do that again. I want nothing to do with it when he gets ground up on the road. He cant even do 50 miles on the highway without it beating him up.

All Im doing is letting the folks that are sportster sized that it will eat up highway miles with ease and the higher revs, well guess what? That bike is a rev monster as much as the mans bike is a torque monster. My bike runs tip top shape, even after several hours long trips 70+. The folks sayin' no way it can/will handle it arent either doing it or if they are uncomfortable doing it need to take a BRC or get a bike that fits THEM. Might seem like harsh words but for the safety and comfort of everyone, I speak true words.

Quick Reply: In defense of the Sportster