Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In defense of the Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
You must forgive his ignorance. With one whole month on the forum me thinks he has no idea of your amount of knowledge. I for one respect what you have done with your Sporty.
I was just wondering if he has built his engine or changed his gearing which would have a huge effect on a race with a stock geezer glide. I'm not sure how a stock 1200 would compare to 103" but i do know that my 883 gearing will not keep up on the freeway. it just revs the motor into a range i don't feel comfortable running it at for long periods of time. I don't have much knowledge i'm just telling it as i have seen it on the freeway riding with a street glide. i don't care which is faster and i find no reason to defend the sportster it is an awesome motorcycle, but i can tell you that sportsters are a very slow bike stock. i have ridden a lot of bikes in my day.

Last edited by IRON1250; 07-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must forgive his ignorance. With one whole month on the forum me thinks he has no idea of your amount of knowledge. I for one respect what you have done with your Sporty.
You forum boys are more hilarious than the sportsters are girl bikes, or the my 103" has twice the power of your bike when you make fun of them after they decline a ride invite because they need to polish some chrome crowds. Or the best is the excuse there is scattered showers in the area.

That chit right there is just too funny. One month on a forum. So I guess in this magical world here on this forum, when someone comes here on the first day they know nothing about riding? Whatever floats your boat there.

Maybe you need to log out and put the rubber to the road kiddo. I love your race comment, ya see in the real world of on the road experience, getting to 100 the fastest is not a benchmark in who gets where they are going first on a 800 mile plus run in one day.

If you got one of them bagger or geezer glides pay attention to who is passing you on the highway next time.

If not then I am sorry for your life experiences then, because if you ride a sportster and are running a super slab 800 mile run on a sportster and get passed by every Harley big inch engine out there. Then you need to take a BRC or something, or get a star 250 cruiser. Riding like that, well thats all you will need then.

Keep in mind kids. This is what I see on the road. Im not looking at a bikes cubic inches or torque or HP specs. If thats all one does its easier to draw a conclusion the bigger inch bikes will be tops at the end of the day. Put some rubber on the road and forget about your forum legendary status and post count. It wont help you on the road if you run into an experienced sporty rider.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,407 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
I was just wondering if he has built his engine or changed his gearing which would have a huge effect on a race with a stock geezer glide. I'm not sure how a stock 1200 would compare to 103" but i do know that my 883 gearing will not keep up on the freeway. it just revs the motor into a range i don't feel comfortable running it at for long periods of time. I don't have much knowledge i'm just telling it as i have seen it on the freeway riding with a street glide. i don't care which is faster and i find no reason to defend the sportster it is an awesome motorcycle, but i can tell you that sportsters are a very slow bike stock. i have ridden a lot of bikes in my day.
I owned a 80' 1000 Sportster and know for fact that my 07' Wideglide can cruise all day at a speed that was not even attainable with the 1000 Sporty.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM
dragonflyrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ib5150

.....can't understand a guy owning a Harley Glide or larger model and then giving his wife a sporty because her sporty would leave him in the dust (kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think).
I had to laugh....this is exactly what my hubbs did....I'm not looking to leave him in the dust though

Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Mpsporty
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perki your dyna has 2 more gears than the sporty did. I'm just limited by speed limits and usually run about 80mph like nothing- I love to ride on the hwy. Wide glides are awesome but your comparing a difference of 27 years of technology between the two bikes.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
99% of us are here because we agree. The other 1% couldn't afford a big twin and won't be here long.
I'm just here because i'm short yo. lol.

Honestly, i'm probably the .05%. I can't fit on nor afford bigger harleys (yet). I also can't really afford the sportster. When i say that I mean I can't afford to pay a mechanic. I can afford the parts, and I have the know-how as far as finding out how to fix something. What else matters then learning how to work on your scooter while learning how to ride on your scooter. Right?

But it's mainly because i'm short, lmfao

Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mpsporty
Perki your dyna has 2 more gears than the sporty did. I'm just limited by speed limits and usually run about 80mph like nothing- I love to ride on the hwy. Wide glides are awesome but your comparing a difference of 27 years of technology between the two bikes.
I agree with your statement but even with your 5 speed 1200 Sporty your final drive is 3.517 which equates to 1706 tire rpm at 6000 engine rpm. Whereas Dynas 5th gear final drive is 3.307 which equates to 1,814 tire rpm at 6000 engine rpm. Which shows that out on the open road a stock Sporty has no chance of keeping up with a Dyna. And yes a Sporty may get a few more RPM but we still haven't even brought the 6th gear of the Dyna in to the equation.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
You forum boys are more hilarious than the sportsters are girl bikes, or the my 103" has twice the power of your bike when you make fun of them after they decline a ride invite because they need to polish some chrome crowds. Or the best is the excuse there is scattered showers in the area.

That chit right there is just too funny. One month on a forum. So I guess in this magical world here on this forum, when someone comes here on the first day they know nothing about riding? Whatever floats your boat there.

Maybe you need to log out and put the rubber to the road kiddo. I love your race comment, ya see in the real world of on the road experience, getting to 100 the fastest is not a benchmark in who gets where they are going first on a 800 mile plus run in one day.

If you got one of them bagger or geezer glides pay attention to who is passing you on the highway next time.

If not then I am sorry for your life experiences then, because if you ride a sportster and are running a super slab 800 mile run on a sportster and get passed by every Harley big inch engine out there. Then you need to take a BRC or something, or get a star 250 cruiser. Riding like that, well thats all you will need then.

Keep in mind kids. This is what I see on the road. Im not looking at a bikes cubic inches or torque or HP specs. If thats all one does its easier to draw a conclusion the bigger inch bikes will be tops at the end of the day. Put some rubber on the road and forget about your forum legendary status and post count. It wont help you on the road if you run into an experienced sporty rider.
I was just trying to point out that before you start giving someone like 1250 Iron crap you should really do a little research and find out what he knows. But then after your response to me maybe comprehension is not possible.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

it's all good. just take a cruise on a 103" street glide at 90-95 and see how it feels compared to 90-95 on the stock sportster. only way to know is to try them both.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just trying to point out that before you start giving someone like 1250 Iron crap you should really do a little research and find out what he knows. But then after your response to me maybe comprehension is not possible.
I must say I'm sorry then. Ya see I do my 'research' on the road. This gear ratio that wheel rpm. Trying to justify your point with paper statistics tells me a few things. You are making the same sounds guys I know with these superior road bikes when they are invited to a ride, and decline.

Your comprehension of me telling you what I see on the road is what's lacking. Yes I know, you been on the forum longer, have more posts. That equals superior knowledge and experience, on this forum.

Yawn.

Quick Reply: In defense of the Sportster