Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a "Low"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lowering a "Low"

My sister just picked up an '06 Sporty Low and wanted to lower the bike a bit to make it easier to push backward. I was wondering how much you can lower the bike before bottoming out becomes an issue. I believe the bike has stock rear shocks on it. BTW she's short with a slight build so weight won't be an issue. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure the length of a lows shocks but I believe progressive sells 11" shocks. The only thing I know from my nightster stockers. Short shock equal harsh ride.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From my experience - I bought street glide air shocks off of ebay, sent them to Bitchin Baggers in AZ and had mine cut down to 10 3/4". They do great work and customer service is excellent. So that coupled with raking the front end 4 degrees lowered mine significantly. A couple of things to keep in mind. Yes, the ride is a bit harsher than stock depending on how low you go, but it's mostly and particularly a problem on severe bumps, potholes and such, not straight and level. I don't mind the overall ride but you really have to be aware of the jolt from better than average bumps and be prepared for it. The other thing to be aware of is lean angle. The lower you go the sooner you start to drag things in turns. For me the biggest concern is the kickstand mounting point on the left side. It's easy to hit that sucker in slow left hand turns, especially if there's a large bump in the road. And with forwards I tend to drag my heels before the pegs start grinding, which isn't a safety problem as much as wear problem on my boots. If she keeps those things in mind and can live with less cushion (which perhaps can be made up for with a better seat) lowering a bit isn't a problem. I love the way mine rides.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

The shocks on my 09 low are 10.5 inches eye to eye and I drag both sides constantly.. I'd advise you to try to get her lower with a reduced reach seat rather than slamming the bike itself any further or it might get dangerous if she rides aggressively at all. (and even if she's not riding aggressively now, it doesn't mean she won't be in a few months)

Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

My 06 Low has 12" shocks I believe. I wanted to drop it a bit, I used the 1" lowering kit from DK. Worked perfect.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
My 06 Low has 12" shocks I believe. I wanted to drop it a bit, I used the 1" lowering kit from DK. Worked perfect.
I guess I should clarify, mine measure 10.5 eye to eye while mounted.. I've never had them off, maybe they're 12" too. I've drug the left side hard enough in a sweeping turn at high speed that I was worried about the back wheel coming off the ground. I do ride like a dumbass sometimes though.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
My sister just picked up an '06 Sporty Low and wanted to lower the bike a bit to make it easier to push backward. I was wondering how much you can lower the bike before bottoming out becomes an issue. I believe the bike has stock rear shocks on it. BTW she's short with a slight build so weight won't be an issue. Thanks for any suggestions.
I have an 07 Low and I would suggest that she dials the preload setting of the rear shocks to the softest and try riding it that way. On the softest setting the rear of the bike will sag and sit lower. Since she isn't heavy, it might work for her. I am 145lbs and used to have that configuration.

HTH.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

She should have the seat narrowed towards the nose of the seat so it's not so bulky between her thighs which will result in her being able to put legs down at a straighter angle & reach the ground better. Also, she should look at thicker soled boots, if she doesn't already have those.

Edit: Might need a pic of said sister & the thighs just to confirm that is the issue though.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 07-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Edit: Might need a pic of said sister & the thighs just to confirm that is the issue though.

+1 -

Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
littledragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 xl1200 low bottoms out a lot. I run the preload at 4 with my wife and I on it and 3 solo and the bike bottoms out all the time over bumps solo or not. Can't see lowering it anymore with out even more hitting the bottom. progressive shocks are in my future for better overall handling for sure.

Quick Reply: Lowering a "Low"