Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Failure at 11,000 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:00 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser
Default Clutch Failure at 11,000 miles?!

Ive been having issues with my 2009 sportster 1200c. When I was in first gear and the clutch was pulled all the way the bike would still pull slightly forward.

So I adjusted my clutch lever. Then about a day later it started back up. I took it too harley and they said I needed a few adjustments. (Belt, clutch and primary). It started back up the next day riding out of town AND started leaking oil out of the primary case. I rode to the nearest Harley dealer. They had me out in 30 minutes and said it was a gasket. (bad mechanic the day before?) No more leaks.

Now when I am riding if im in gear and give it WOT the engine revs high and doesnt match the same power, pull given its RPM's

Should this be happening at ONLY 11k miles? I'll open it up here and there but for the most part I baby the crap out of this thing!

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:15 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain

Did the 'bad mechanic' check to make sure fluid levels were correct?

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:17 AM
DUALLS
Cruiser

It's pretty common.The spring plate in the clutch basket probably came apart or is coming apart. You can get ahold of Hammer Performance or NHRS and they can take care of you or you can buy this direct:http://www.energyoneclutches.com/pro...&cat=13&page=1

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:17 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster
Did the 'bad mechanic' check to make sure fluid levels were correct?
Haha no kidding. I checked them myself and they were fine. Im thinking to avoid the issue completely (as I need to have a full service done) to just replace the whole clutch with a new and better one.

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:20 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DUALLS
It's pretty common.The spring plate in the clutch basket probably came apart or is coming apart. You can get ahold of Hammer Performance or NHRS and they can take care of you or you can buy this direct:http://www.energyoneclutches.com/pro...&cat=13&page=1
thank you for the link! Yeah. even though its a shame, this experience just makes me want to be more of a gear head, so I can be able to just do ALL of the work myself. I cringe if I take my bike to harley (because its under warranty) and have them look at it and give me their "diagnosis" as to what the real problem is.

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:27 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by doctoraustin
thank you for the link! Yeah. even though its a shame, this experience just makes me want to be more of a gear head, so I can be able to just do ALL of the work myself. I cringe if I take my bike to harley (because its under warranty) and have them look at it and give me their "diagnosis" as to what the real problem is.
It does sound like you may have a Spring Plate failure. Don't keep trying to ride it, get it checked out. If it's caught early enough, the repair isn't to bad. But if you keep riding it, the failing Spring Plate will destroy the entire clutch basket.

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:32 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
It does sound like you may have a Spring Plate failure. Don't keep trying to ride it, get it checked out. If it's caught early enough, the repair isn't to bad. But if you keep riding it, the failing Spring Plate will destroy the entire clutch basket.
Speaking of that. Would it be best to do the extra plate kit to eliminate the spring plate? Ive heard of people doing that and say its worth the change out

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:43 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Speaking of that. Would it be best to do the extra plate kit to eliminate the spring plate? Ive heard of people doing that and say its worth the change out
That's what I did. The extra plate kit gives you basically the same thing as what you get with Harley's SE clutch pack. You can expect a noticeable increase in required clutch pull force though.

Old 07-15-2013 | 10:44 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Yes, do it now. Your dealer should have already looked at this...if they balk at the idea I would find a better service center.

Old 07-15-2013 | 11:55 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you ride aggressively? Are you experienced at "clutching"?

Some guys have the wrong impression of what to do properly. I won't go into a lengthy explanation but often operator (repeated) error can destroy a clutch overnight.

Because it was adjusted correctly, and the next day it wasn't, leads me to believe something is not tightening down and staying put.

Be sure to come back once they open it up and determine what is the problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch Failure at 11,000 miles?!