Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Failure at 11,000 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013 | 01:02 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Do you ride aggressively? Are you experienced at "clutching"?

Some guys have the wrong impression of what to do properly. I won't go into a lengthy explanation but often operator (repeated) error can destroy a clutch overnight.

Because it was adjusted correctly, and the next day it wasn't, leads me to believe something is not tightening down and staying put.

Be sure to come back once they open it up and determine what is the problem.
Sorry, but I assume you have little mechanical experience with a Sportster.
The Sporty has a Spring Plate in the clutch assembly that is not found in Big Twins.
The Spring Plate has a long history of failures.
Typically it occurs for most people around 20K-25K miles, but that can vary widely based on the percentage on city (lots) vs highway (little) clutch use per mile.
The classic symptom of a Spring Plate failure, is the inability to maintain the clutch adjustment from one day to the next.

Old 07-15-2013 | 01:38 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but I assume you have little mechanical experience with a Sportster.
The Sporty has a Spring Plate in the clutch assembly that is not found in Big Twins.
The Spring Plate has a long history of failures.
Typically it occurs for most people around 20K-25K miles, but that can vary widely based on the percentage on city (lots) vs highway (little) clutch use per mile.
The classic symptom of a Spring Plate failure, is the inability to maintain the clutch adjustment from one day to the next.

Correct assumption. I'm just trying to understand a possible cause.

Still doesn't answer the question of knowledge of use, or aggressive driving ... but it doesn't really matter to me.

Seems it's been figured out. And too bad it's a known issue.

I can understand it's unique to Sportsters. Just like a have unique issues with my old '86 Big Twin Harley too.

Old 07-15-2013 | 02:08 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Never understood the reason for it being in there in the first place. Other than that the Sportster uses the same clutch as a BT.

Old 07-15-2013 | 02:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by rickss69
Never understood the reason for it being in there in the first place. Other than that the Sportster uses the same clutch as a BT.
Haven't you heard? Sporties are girls bikes, they need the Spring Plate for an easier clutch pull....

Old 07-15-2013 | 04:28 PM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Do you ride aggressively? Are you experienced at "clutching"?

Some guys have the wrong impression of what to do properly. I won't go into a lengthy explanation but often operator (repeated) error can destroy a clutch overnight.

Because it was adjusted correctly, and the next day it wasn't, leads me to believe something is not tightening down and staying put.

Be sure to come back once they open it up and determine what is the problem.
good point. Im pretty sure im shifting correctly as ive been around bikes my whole life (riding dirtbikes since I was younger).

I will post when I find out the immediate problem!

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:17 PM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

So I took it into Harley (Its warrantied). And they took off the primary and found out that it was the spring plate. It somehow came apart and the rivets got stuck everywhere in the clutch, giving it that tooth & nail feeling when switching gears.

ALL GOOD NEWS! I suggested putting in a better clutch with the extra plate and the mechanic there (who actually knows his stuff) said he could order a screamin eagle clutch and I would actually get store credit back to me because the cost of the screamin eagle clutch is less than the replacement of the spring plate system.

Thoughts on the screamin eagle??? Its free? So instead of me paying $200+ for a clutch of my liking ill get something for basically free (have to pay $50 deduct.) that will be able to handle a bit more power!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member

The SE clutch pack works fine, that's what I used. The Energy One may be a bit better, but not at that price difference, IMO.

Old 07-19-2013 | 12:01 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
The SE clutch pack works fine, that's what I used. The Energy One may be a bit better, but not at that price difference, IMO.

Is there a big change in feel with the SE clutch? I mean I cant complain with the price...otherwise I would have gotten the energy one. Anything else you recommend I change while the case is already open?

Old 07-28-2013 | 03:12 AM
doctoraustin
|
Cruiser

Just got my bike back today. LOVE the new clutch. However the lever is stiff right now but im hoping it smooths out a bit over time. Because of it being under warranty, I actually got a $76 credit for Harley. Not a bad stop at all! And we know how valuable $76 is!

Old 07-28-2013 | 06:17 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad it is all fixed and well now.

Going to subscribe for future reference. Seems like a problem we will not be able to avoid.

Quick Reply: Clutch Failure at 11,000 miles?!