Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Sissy bar HELP??

Well the lady has had about enough of my long weekend rides with my friends and she wants to be able to have the choice of coming with, so I'm going to buy a 2-UP seat, rear pegs and the bracket for the bike, she already realizes in the way of comfort it will not be like any other Harley I have owned but she says it doesn't matter.

What I am not sure on is the sissy bar or backrest, I diffidently feel I should have one so she doesn't slip off the back. I want one that looks good rather I have the 2-UP seat on or just the solo. I do realize I can buy a quick release and remove it when adding the solo seat but I prefer the option of it staying on the bike. So any help on this choice would be much appreciated..

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

QD sissy and a sundowner. My wife fell asleep on it last weekend, dont' ask... Comfort is not an issue for her but the look may not be your thing. If you truly want her to come along and be comfy the sundowner gets two enthusiastic two thumbs up from my wife.3

I had Mean City Cycles modify the riders portion for me. Lowered it and added memory foam.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
shaneK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a badlanders 2up seat on my bike and just added the detachable sissy bar. I think it looks spot on, but thats my 2cents. I havent had any complaints from passengers yet, but they also havent been riding on it for a long time either. To me the sundowner was an option but I didnt care for the way it looks all huge and poofy.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
littledragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat. I have an 09 Sporty 1200 low. The stock seat on it was fine for me but not for the wife. I have the short HD bsissybar and backrest. I bought the sundowner seat so my wife would be more comfortable. She loves it. I hate it. I have mid controls and the position of the seat has me sitting on the back of my tank. When I stop I slide even more forward on the tank. I think I will need to get a tank bra if I keep the sundowner on. I told my wife I was going back to the stock seat and she threatend not to ride with me if I did..hmm? The sundowner is much wider than the stock seat and she really likes it. I think I need to have some work done on the front portion for me to enjoy it.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littledragon
I was in the same boat. I have an 09 Sporty 1200 low. The stock seat on it was fine for me but not for the wife. I have the short HD bsissybar and backrest. I bought the sundowner seat so my wife would be more comfortable. She loves it. I hate it. I have mid controls and the position of the seat has me sitting on the back of my tank. When I stop I slide even more forward on the tank. I think I will need to get a tank bra if I keep the sundowner on. I told my wife I was going back to the stock seat and she threatend not to ride with me if I did..hmm? The sundowner is much wider than the stock seat and she really likes it. I think I need to have some work done on the front portion for me to enjoy it.
Check out MeanCityCycles.com, Allen is a magician. I felt the same way about my Sundowner. He reshaped it and it's so much better now. $110 plus shipping. Much cheaper than a new saddle.

Allen even shaved back the portion of the seat that covers the oil dip stick so I can check it without taking the seat off again.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would've of said to the wife. What bike, what are you talking about?