Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Battery Tender?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bike actually held up tonight with no real issues, didn't even have to unplug the IAC. Apparently if i keep the run switch turned to on, and just turn everything off by pulling out the key, then it doesn't constantly run every 3 seconds. Did a quick DVM test and bike read 12.62 once it settled out.

Could the IAC have been acting weird due to a weak charge on the battery? Before i hit the run switch once parked i also didn't hear it trying to adjust.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 AM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

Hey cHarley, check this forum thread out I found.

http://www.hdtalking.com/electrical/...rol_issue.html

This is the exact issue i'm having with my IAC. Tonight when i turned everything off and i didn't hear the IAC buzz like i normally did, but yesterday or the day before i went and bought two new relays, but obviously since i was having battery/tender issues i hadn't started the bike yet to notice the difference.

Think i'm gonna go take a DVM test of the battery with everything off and IAC unplugged, and then plug it in and see if i'm losing volts. Maybe the new relay fixed my issue and i didn't realise until i got the bike/battery/tender running again. Hope so, that save me another 56 dollars, lol.

Last edited by CinCityPyro; 07-11-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by CinCityPyro
Hey cHarley, check this forum thread out I found.

http://www.hdtalking.com/electrical/...rol_issue.html

This is the exact issue i'm having with my IAC. Tonight when i turned everything off and i didn't hear the IAC buzz like i normally did, but yesterday or the day before i went and bought two new relays, but obviously since i was having battery/tender issues i hadn't started the bike yet to notice the difference.

Think i'm gonna go take a DVM test of the battery with everything off and IAC unplugged, and then plug it in and see if i'm losing volts. Maybe the new relay fixed my issue and i didn't realise until i got the bike/battery/tender running again. Hope so, that save me another 56 dollars, lol.
Good deal, but it's not all that surprising.
That's why I said above, you needed to have a known good battery and charging system, before you started trying to chase the gremlins. Low voltage makes all kinds of things malfunction.

BTW: Be sure and coat the contacts of the fuses and relays with dielectric grease. If helps reduce the corrosion problems in that area that the 2007 bikes experience.

Last edited by cHarley; 07-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
Good deal, but it's not all that surprising.
That's why I said above, you needed to have a known good battery and charging system, before you started trying to chase the gremlins. Low voltage makes all kinds of things malfunction.

BTW: Be sure and coat the contacts of the fuses and relays with dielectric grease. If helps reduce the corrosion problems in that area that the 2007 bikes experience.

I just put all new fuses and (now) new relays as well. I put a absurd amount of dielectic grease on before replacing these. Again i'm new to these kinds of electronics, and thought maybe i used to much. It would appear to me as it sounds the more the better. I'll probably re-coat them today, because after replacing them all, there is only grease on the contacts, but the edges of each fuse/relay could use some to keep water out the crevices.

On another note, the reason that i replaced both relays two days ago is because i felt the top of the two relays clicking whenever i tried starting the bike, and it felt out of place so i went ahead and replaced em both. Haven't heard that IAC thing buzz all last night, so I actually decided to leave it plugged in and jsut treated the bike like there were no issues when parked and turned it all off. Hopefully in a few hours i'll go down there, and a test will hopefully reveal that i'm still at 12.58v and then the bike starts no issues. Then i know i won't need the IAC part, and that it was only low volts causing me issues. Guess i should have thought of this prior as when i had lower then normal volts, I also didn't hear the fuel pump activate like normal.

Anyways, this is a lot to read because my wordsmithing in the mornings is total crap lol. Again you've been a great help, and have schooled me well, the last few days, in things i didn't think i could learn so easily. But with a guru like yourself getting my back, and a desire to learn due to lack of funds to support the lazy option (taking it to dealership), one can be amazed in the ability of oneself when neccessity and desire take hold, and one applys oneself. :-)

I'm done typing now. LMFAO

Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Glad to help and that you learned something in the process. There's no need to get carried away with the dielectric grease, just a nice thin coat will do.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 AM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

Glad to help and that you learned something in the process. There's no need to get carried away with the dielectric grease, just a nice thin coat will do.
Cool, cool. It could use a tad more then, just to get a good flush covering so water doesn't seep into the cracks of the sockets. :-)

After looking at how the newest 2012-2013 sportsters are wired. I'm half tempted to buy a 12-13 year wiring harness and ECM. They really have perfected how many wires they actually need, and do a lot better about tucking the fuse block and other important goodies away from things like rain. I mean for cryin out loud my 2007 has 12-14 15amp fuses, and two relays. The new ones have 5 fuses and two relays, and things tucked better with better coverings, better plastic harness covers, a smaller ECM. Harley told me if i bought the parts that it could easily be done, as far as upgrading my harness and ECM to an 2012-2013. I am really considering it. hell that would be like buying a newer sporty nearly.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member

As often happens with new models of a vehicle, FI on the Sporty in 2007, sometimes there are problems related to the change. In this case it was water intrusion into the new fuse/relay area. They improved the situation in 08, then completely relocated the stuff in 09.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

As often happens with new models of a vehicle, FI on the Sporty in 2007, sometimes there are problems related to the change. In this case it was water intrusion into the new fuse/relay area. They improved the situation in 08, then completely relocated the stuff in 09.

So 09-current is all the same setup? Yeah when i bought my bike i knew it was the first year for sporty EFI, but the bike was just so damn pretty, lol.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by CinCityPyro
So 09-current is all the same setup? Yeah when i bought my bike i knew it was the first year for sporty EFI, but the bike was just so damn pretty, lol.
LOL, I think they are, but I haven't really studied the new models in the last 2 years.