Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Battery Tender?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i can't get to the negative of the battery, care to suggest a good ground for my test lead?

Perhaps the clasp bolt for the center of our sporty seats?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Better to use a bolt on the motor.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

I actually found a stable ground using the rear bolt that holds the tank on. Removed the rubber cover and voila!

Anyways. getting ready to upload numbers in like 2 minutes or so. brb

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

Ran Two sets of Test. One with the IAC Pinter plugged in, and one without;

The value on the left is with the IAC Pinter plugged in, and value on the right is without;

Battery In (No Power)

12.43v / 12.58v

Battery In (Key Turned to "Ignition", Run Switch Off)

12.16v / 12.14v

Battery In (Key Turned to "Ignition", Run Switch On)

12.13v / 12.14v

Battery In (Bike Started)

14.01v / 14.21v

Battery In (Bike Started, Roughly 1200 RPMs)

14.11v / 14.26v

Battery In (No Power, After Test Cycle Completion)

12.81v / 12.74v

Battery In (No Power, 10 Min. Later)

12.63v (IAC Pinter Unplugged)

Seems to me the battery is fine, given the final numbers after the test was completed and it to a charge of a few points. It also appears to me that the charging system is working great as well. When the IAC Pinter is unplugged the bikes seems to idle around high RPMs, and when it is plugged in the idle is normal. Definitely shouldn't be riding the bike around with it unplugged, and for the sake of my battery, shouldn't ride the bike around with it plugged in, and unplugging it whenever I stop i suppose.

I get the feeling that the IAC Pinter is in fact my culprit, and I don't think i have any other drains, but i also have untrained eyes.

What is your opinion cHarley? You think my battery and charging systems are good, and that the IAC pinter is my only culprit? Any other test i can run to be sure?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Yep, at this point the battery and charging system look OK. Leave the IAC unplugged and check the battery voltage again in the morning to make sure it's still stable around 12.6V.

Then replace the IAC.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

$5.69 for a DVM saved my *** 110 for a diognostics from HD Stealership. cHarley, you rock!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member

You're not out of the woods yet, but getting close.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
You're not out of the woods yet, but getting close.
I assume the only thing left to do is check my battery in the morning like you said. With the Pinter unplugged, and my battery still reads a good 12.xx volts, then i imagine i'm completely good.

At this point i'm heading back to stealership to exchange my faulty tender they sold me. The worst case scenario is they need to replace my battery, and i wait to put it in once i install the new pinter. Sound about right? :-)

Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by CinCityPyro
I assume the only thing left to do is check my battery in the morning like you said. With the Pinter unplugged, and my battery still reads a good 12.xx volts, then i imagine i'm completely good.

At this point i'm heading back to stealership to exchange my faulty tender they sold me. The worst case scenario is they need to replace my battery, and i wait to put it in once i install the new pinter. Sound about right? :-)
You've got it. We just want to make sure that the repeated draining of the battery hasn't caused a shorted battery cell, which will cause the battery to discharge overnight. If the battery still has a good charge in the morning with the IAC disconnected, you should be good to go once the IAC is replaced.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM
CinCityPyro
Cruiser

yeah just in the last few hours, it's dropped down to 12.54 volts. To hell with it, gonna plug it up and take her for a spin. I'll jsut unplug the pinter when i park for more then a few minutes. The ride might also charge it up a bit as well since we know the charging system works. HD refunded me for the bad tender (they tested it on some bettaeries and it didn't charge them either). Bought one for half the cost at AutoZone. HD mentioned my pinter will be in tomorrow or friday, so thats good, and since the battery is bad i'll have them replace it as well when i go pickup the pinter. Cheers, time to ride!!!

Quick Reply: Bad Battery Tender?!?!?!?!