Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION: DO NOT BUY RSD / Vance and Hines 2 to 1 slash cut for forty eight

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
interwoven
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killacomputa
DO NOT BUY THIS EXHAUST

It is made for the sportster and the authorized dealer I bought it from made no mention of it not fitting. after I mounted it and realized the front controls weren't going to work, I looked it up and in the description on the RSD site it made a very brief and somewhat misleading mention of it in the very last line.

So I called RSD and spoke to one of the technical service operators who informed me that the exhaust SHOULD fit with the forward controls. I told him that it does not and asked him if there was any options or alternatives. He said I was the first to call about this and no there are no options. This was after I was on hold for probably around a half hour total. the holds were interrupted every couple of minutes by someone asking me to repeat my question then returning me on hold again. He finally told me I should call Vance and Hines.
When you buy something from an authorized dealer you are counting on their knowledge and this SHOULD circumvent your need to waste your time double checking them to make sure they are right. You go to the experts for their help to prevent you from getting the wrong item.

Unfortunately this isn't the case anymore. It sounds to me like the OP was given incorrect information from the Authorized Dealer.

They should, but they probably won't, Say "Oops our bad. I'm so sorry WE SOLD you the wrong pipes for your bike. Get them back to us and we will get you hooked up with some pipes that will fit your bike. Again our apologies for giving you incorrect information and wasting your time installing them."

What they should do if everything the OP said was correct.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

do you mean 2 into 1 slant cut? i see nothing anywhere called rsd slash cut. if it is the slant pipe it will work with either front or mids. give us a link to the exhaust you are talikg about please.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by interwoven
When you buy something from an authorized dealer you are counting on their knowledge and this SHOULD circumvent your need to waste your time double checking them to make sure they are right. You go to the experts for their help to prevent you from getting the wrong item.

Unfortunately this isn't the case anymore. It sounds to me like the OP was given incorrect information from the Authorized Dealer.

They should, but they probably won't, Say "Oops our bad. I'm so sorry WE SOLD you the wrong pipes for your bike. Get them back to us and we will get you hooked up with some pipes that will fit your bike. Again our apologies for giving you incorrect information and wasting your time installing them."

In the initial post I did not see where the OP asked for fitment validation from the vendor. Looks like he did that afterwards. Not sure.

Either way, own up to the mistake and move on. Mid controls or sell it and get something that fits with forwards controls.

My old man used to say that we pay for knowledge... in tears, sweat, or money...

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

This ^^^ I'm sure a few mis-steps were made on both sides, and the OP was basically trying to inform us of a tough situation he found himself in. Nothing more frustrating than getting all pumped for new parts totaling a grand and not being able to use them (or return them for that matter). Off to fine print section now....

Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairbanksdmt
This ^^^ I'm sure a few mis-steps were made on both sides, and the OP was basically trying to inform us of a tough situation he found himself in. Nothing more frustrating than getting all pumped for new parts totaling a grand and not being able to use them (or return them for that matter). Off to fine print section now....
He contacted both companies after the pipes were purchased. He wasn't SOLD the wrong pipes, he BOUGHT the wrong pipes. As I mentioned before, it clearly states on the V&H website:
Note: Will not fit with forward controls.
Note: Requires use of o2 sensor extension lead P/N 71001 (Drag ID 1861-0827)
Sucks to make a costly mistake but it happens. I've made lots of them myself but I can't really blame anyone else.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
TheHBBD
6th Gear

I'm interested in your mids. Can you pm me? I don't see how to pm you.

Thanks,
AC

Originally Posted by NSFW
I recently took the mid controls off of my bike and opted for forwards. if you are interested I am considering selling them. Best of luck with your issue.