Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
NSFW
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards

Let me start by saying hi to everyone. In the past month I picked up my first Harley (third bike). Loved the way the Iron looked so I hustled one hell of a deal and here I am. All along I was wanting forward controls but the all the options out there were not all that..well forward, expensive, or both. I kept seeing this and that kit designed to take forwards and push them further forward. Sounds great, if you have forwards already. However, us Nightster/Iron/SuperLow owners would have to fork out some $350-$400 for this. Add that to the cost of an extension kit and we're talking an easy $500-$600 for forwards. Although probably worth every penny I figured there had to be a better way. I think I found a pretty solid solution.

Find an extension kit that you like (I went with a great guy here on HD forums) and figure out what parts of the standard forwards are intended to be used with it. Lastly, GO SHOPPING! I used Ronnies HD parts finder because it was very reasonably priced new stock and they have a pretty dang good interface with exploded views of nearly everything.

I am going to try and do a walk through with plenty of pictures. So far I mocked up the parts I have and I believe I have all pieces save for one clevis. Which is on order (I ordered the wrong clevis first time around). This is a little bit of an experiment so for those of you who are interested, please bare with me.

Will be adding more pictures as I go along.

Attached Thumbnails Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-kit-labled.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-shift-and-brake-rod.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-4-main-components.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-left-side-reused-parts.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-right-side-reused-parts.jpg  

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea!
Try to include alternate part numbers for black/chrome/polished aluminum.

Last edited by c0jones; 07-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 AM
NSFW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c0jones
Great idea!
Try to include alternate part numbers for black/chrome/polished aluminum.
Thanks for the complement!

Only a handful of the parts have the option of finish. Also, there are instances where the finish is not indicated prior to actually seeing the item. I'm gonna say for those interested in alternate finishes, pm me and I can try and help or just give ronnies HD/HD dealer of choice a call.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM
NSFW
Intermediate
Default UPDATE: Project completed

Ok so the final piece arrived today so I was able to everything all together. It took about 2-2 1/2 hrs start to finish but worth every minute. I got a chance to take the iron out for a ride and I cant stop thinking that I wish i had done this 1,300 miles ago!

I'm going to be picking up some better pegs, but other than that the only thing left to do is put on some more miles and check all my fasteners. I tried to take a few picture but i was loosing the light outside so I'll try and take better pictures soon.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-c360_2013-07-05-19-11-40-536.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-c360_2013-07-05-19-09-42-414.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-c360_2013-07-05-19-09-29-372.jpg   Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards-c360_2013-07-05-19-09-06-092.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! How far out did you have to go to clear the stock pipes?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
NSFW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by camden
Im not sure how far you need to go, but I went for 6". Its about as far as you can go before you start rubbing the front tire. Im a pretty solid 6'2" with a 34" inseam. This is pretty much perfect for me.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM
firstrock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post!

I'm 6`3" 32 inseam and I just put forward controls on my 07 1200L. I also looked at all the options and was also disappointed at what was available. Considering that this is my first bike, I wasn't sure what I wanted, forward or extend controls. LSS, I got the forward controls but wish I would have went extended.

I may make/purchase my own brackets & braces and do it myself. I already had to make my own custom length shifter rod to make the shifter work.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM
nighty0619
Advanced

Great idea... I have the same issue. Want forward controls but the kits don't seem to go far enough forward, tough to spend $300 and not get what I really want out of it what was the total cost of the project?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Jallie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camden

ah !
look ugly no?

what is OK under the engine ... is not necessary beautiful in front of ... ( my point of view)

the best thing expected, should be the price ...very low

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM
NSFW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nighty0619
Great idea... I have the same issue. Want forward controls but the kits don't seem to go far enough forward, tough to spend $300 and not get what I really want out of it what was the total cost of the project?

I would have to sit down and total everything up, but it was less than $400 after everything. Assuming you have the tools and loc-tite of course.

Quick Reply: Extended forward controls w/o buying forwards