Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Finish

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged Finish

So I got on my bike the other day and noticed that my handlebars looked a little different. I have Biltwell Z bars (black) that I installed about 6 months ago.

When I looked at the bars I noticed that the finish on them looked cloudy. Since I store my bike outside, I thought they were just a little dirty. Upon further inspection it became clear that they weren't dirty, but actually "damaged." They aren't shiny, dark black any more, but now a little clouded, and dull.

I had cleaned my tank with Windex based on some posts on this site (and it worked awesome on the tank). I had also used Simple Green to clean the engine a week earlier. I didn't use them in combination, or even within 48 hours of each other.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know of a fix (if there is one--though I doubt it). Anything else I should know going forward?

Thanks for your input, it would be great to hear what you all think.

-Wildcat

Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You should never use Windex on your paint...... Period. It is ammonia based.

Are you sure it wasn't Lemon Pledge that many of us use on our bikes?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
88XLH_DLX
Intermediate

IMHO, Windex is a horrible idea when it comes to cleaning any painted surface because it strips off any wax and leaves the paint dull and unprotected. If left unprotected for a while, the paint may be oxidized. First thing you would have to do (depending on how bad it is) is compound or polish, then wax the paint.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait...dude has an iron. that paint is very different than the others. it's a low satin/flat single stage urethane base. windex won't hurt that at all, although I recommend just a soft sponge and warm water only. What ever you do, do NOT put wax on the irons paint. it'll turn into vivid black.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
wait...dude has an iron. that paint is very different than the others. it's a low satin/flat single stage urethane base. windex won't hurt that at all, although I recommend just a soft sponge and warm water only. What ever you do, do NOT put wax on the irons paint. it'll turn into vivid black.
That could be the reason that just his bars have a white hue to them now.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh...i really can read...sometimes

Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate

For clarification: I used the windex on the black denim tank only (though, perhaps some of it got on the bars). My suspicion is that the ammonia got on the bars (which are a glossy black color) and has damaged the paint there. I will try to get some polish on them and see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I would imagine the bars are powder coated. Unless they had a bad batch of powder or an improper cure cycle, anything less than acetone should be OK. If they're really 'efed up, maybe Biltwell will warranty them.
I have a satin black powder coat on my Sportster's handlebars. They can get a little dull looking from sun, dirt, etc. After washing with soap and water, I hit 'em with a little Meguire's Quick Detail or 303 Protectant (my favorite) and they spruce up nicely. I feel the satin black replicates the factory finish on the switch housings, clutch perch and front brake master cylinder better than flat or gloss black.
You can see a slight difference between the handlebars and the speedo housing, which is powdered with gloss black (gas tank is factory paint, Vivid Black).

A flash exaggerates the difference:

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 07-01-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: NUNYA
Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
eXs FireCat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by W1ldC4t
For clarification: I used the windex on the black denim tank only (though, perhaps some of it got on the bars). My suspicion is that the ammonia got on the bars (which are a glossy black color) and has damaged the paint there. I will try to get some polish on them and see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies!
Spray the windex directly on the paper towel and not on the tank, this will prevent any further cat kicking

Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate

HarleyScuba's 2nd picture with the flash on is exactly the kind of discoloration that I have.

eXs Firecat--good call on spraying directly onto the paper towel. I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Damaged Finish