Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H straightshots slipons vs full system

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM
isalama
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H straightshots slipons vs full system

I was considering to get some V&H slipons to get better, louder sound without changing the stock look on my 48. JPcycles has some crazy discount of the full system exhaust straightshots that makes it the same price as the slipons.
Is there any difference in sound/performance between the slipons on the stock headers and the full exhaust?
Any input will be great help
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by isalama
I was considering to get some V&H slipons to get better, louder sound without changing the stock look on my 48. JPcycles has some crazy discount of the full system exhaust straightshots that makes it the same price as the slipons.
Is there any difference in sound/performance between the slipons on the stock headers and the full exhaust?
Thanks in advance.
If you go with full exhaust you'll have to install a tuner and an air cleaner. I started with just slip ons with the slim. It had a nice sound but the bike ran a little rough. I ended up installing a tuner and air cleaner.

You'll get more hp out of a two into one system. I put ss, an air cleaner, and the se super tuner on my nightster with a dyno and it put her at just shy of 85hp. She ran much smoother after that as well.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was debating on getting the full system (Straight shots) or just the slip-on's my local performance shop told me that there really isn't much difference than just keeping the original header pipes, so I followed their lead and got the slip-ons. They have a great sound and they are Loud, they have a quiet baffle that can be bought for $20. (for two) they don't seem to make them quieter but they do bring the Tone down to a lower (thump).

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by isalama
Thanks in advance.
Slip-on's will sound OK. And you will pretty much retain stock performance.
Full exhaust will sound better. But you will loose some "slow speed" performance ( till you get a tuner ). Then you will get "better than stock" performance. So it depends on how far you want to go.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
Slip-on's will sound OK. And you will pretty much retain stock performance.
Full exhaust will sound better. But you will loose some "slow speed" performance ( till you get a tuner ). Then you will get "better than stock" performance. So it depends on how far you want to go.
The above may be true IF the full system Header pipe is smaller or bigger than the original because if it is the same inter-diameter (as I have been told) then they there would be no difference than the stock ones, however the full system does not utilize the heat shields and they are a more custom look but that is it, as far as I know.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
isalama
Advanced

Thanks all for your replies. my plan (for now) is not to install A/C & tuner. might install Xieds if needed. I guess then going for the slipons will be less headache to install.
Does anyone know if I changed the stock A/C to the Stock A/C from the 72 (also closed but round vs oval for 48) would that change anything in my fuel management?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM
dvdmoviemike
Novice

I put XIEDS and the SS Stealth AC on my 48. Better throttle response and the bike just runs way better than stock. I don't think there is anything different in the 72 or 48 stock ACs other then looks.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM
hardwick48
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C

There's no difference in the 72 and 48 air cleaners. I put a 72 air cleaner on my 48 cause it looks way better and didn't hurt performance a bit.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
isalama
Advanced

Originally Posted by hardwick48
There's no difference in the 72 and 48 air cleaners. I put a 72 air cleaner on my 48 cause it looks way better and didn't hurt performance a bit.
ThanKs, that's what I thought but just needed some assurance.
Can you post a pic of your 48 with the round AC?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
krarov619
6th Gear

i have strait shots with the stage 2 upload and i cant say anything bad about it. great sound. theres alot of bad reviews on the strait shots but i love em. cant beat the price either

Quick Reply: V&H straightshots slipons vs full system