Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision Recovery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:05 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power Vision Recovery?

The unit froze during a firmware update and now it won't load past the splash screen. After reading a lot online I found that there IS a recovery mode. No instructions on how to get to it. I just so happened to try holding down the red button while plugging in the unit to my computer and it booted into recovery mode. The computer recognizes that it is attached but the Power Vision Update Client won't let me try to reload the firmware. It thinks the unit is disconnected. It will only let me do a PV Recovery from the Update From Local File menu. The problem is that it requires a .pvr file and I can't find one. I tried using the .pvr from the critical system update but it says it isn't intended for PV Recovery and once loaded it doesn't work. Anyone able to help?

Cliffs:
-PV froze during firmware update
-Managed to boot into recovery mode
-Critical update .pvr file doesn't work (and isn't supposed to)
-Can't find a .pvr file to run PV Recovery

Update: I have e-mailed PV tech since I am only left to assume a custom pvr file has to be supplied. I was hoping it was just a generic recovery file that they send out when problems happen and that someone would have the file. When I hear back I'll post another update.

Last edited by AjaBra; 06-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump for people that may have the same issue. I did need a pvr file sent to me. Tech support was right on it and responded to my e-mail with the link to the file. Here's what I did:

1. While holding down the red button I plugged the unit into my computer. This boots it into recovery mode.
2. I used the Power Vision Update Client and selected "Update from Local File" then "PV Recovery (.PVR)". I selected the pvr file PV support sent me.
3. After the recovery finished I updated the firmware and tune database using the Power Vision Update Client.
4. I opened the WinPV software and under the "PowerVision" drop down menu selected "Send ORIGINAL Tune to PV" under the "Diagnostic / Test Functions" sub-menu. I loaded the backup of the bike's original tune I had backed up.

After that it is like an all-new unit (aside from still being VIN locked). Just load/modify some tunes and flash them to the bike!

Hope that helps anyone else in the future that has the same problem.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you for following up getting the answer and sharing it!! Into my bookmarks and subscription for future reference.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I check mine for you. In the win software there is a recovery process. This will erase everthing. Check yours out. mine still shows my updated firmware. What win program are you using. Try downloading the new win software.