Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED report...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics LED report...

Oh it's been a 'couple weeks now since I received and installed my Custom Dynamics LED's. I bought kit "GEN200-KIT-XL" with the load equalizer, and chose the "Dynamic Ringz" LED's for the front and good 'ol red LED's in the rear, with clear lenses all around, and figured I'd give a sitrep.

The install of the load equalizer was real simple. After removing the seat, you simply unplug the factory light harness and plug the module inbetween the factory connectors [it fits nicely between the frame tubes], routing the wiring soas not to be bunched up or taught, then after removing the battery hold down and slipping the battery out a bit, route the module's 12v[+] and [-] wires to their respective connections at the battery, taking care to protect the [+] lead as it snakes through the frame. You wouldn't want it to wear through the insulation due to vibration [Harley's vibrate? Who'da thunk!] and make contact with ground, so, like with the rest of the module wiring, I protected the wires with some clear tubing. I normally would've prefered loom but I didn't have any of the correct diameter laying around, and the clear tubing actually offers better protection anyway so the tubing stays! 'Slid the battery back in, applied a 'couple wire ties to keep the module all together with the factory harness, then popped the seat back on and shwabam, D. U. N. Dun with that end.

The quality of the LED's really are outstanding! They certainly aren't junk! About the only care you have to take when installing them is to make sure each one is centered in the light housings before you pop in the lenses.

The brightness of the Dynamic Ringz can't be overstated...the cool white outer "ring" stands out like crazy, and the amber inner LED's are quite bright as well during operation. The rear red's seem twice as bright as the factory incandescents, with the clear lenses offering no resistance at all to blast that nice ruby red color out in spades to the masses behind you.

And about the clear lenses, I'm glad I went with those instead of the "smoked" ones. Smoked lenses seem so "overdone" and outside of lowering the light output, you'all know me, I like to be seen rather than look cool! A nice thing about the clear's too is that the LED's themselves are clear, and when the bike is just sitting there static they look almost silver. The factory colored lenses in the front and back would normally draw your attention directly to them, but now that they're clear, they're hardly noticeable and "blend right in" with the rest of the theme of the my bike, which is brilliant denim silver.

All told, the install took a whopping hour [only because I'm so **** about routing wires and neatness] and I am totally pleased with the quality and output of these LED's. I highly recommend them to anyone who's thinking about switching over. 'Maybe a little pricey at $199.95 but their LED's do have a lifetime warranty against LED failure and they also warranty the module's for 5 years. Seems like ya' can't go wrong!

I was gonna' post a pic or two but there's already a thread with pics on these lights so I didn't wanna be redundant.

Regards,
=8^)

Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice write up. Love my setup as well. But I had to have the cool-looking smoked lens

Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
DUALLS
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wachuko looks good!! Any pics DrewBone?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wachuko
Nice write up. Love my setup as well. But I had to have the cool-looking smoked lens
I see you got the Moon Shinez solid white fronts...man, they gotta' be brighter than hades compared to my Dynamic Ringz! When I was going through my decision stage [I do this with most everything, 'very annoying, LOL] I thought about getting those but I thought the 'ringz would be different, sorta' like angel eyes, so I got them instead. I'm sure I would've been satisfied either way! Glad you like your setup too, and thanks for posting the pics. Oh and I forgive you for getting the smoked lens'

=8^)

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah buddy, Custom Dynamics is an outstanding company to work with. I have their LEDs on my Softail and will soon add them to my Sporty as well. They offer the best quality products, customer service, and warranty available!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DUALLS
...Any pics DrewBone?
'D, no pics, 'hadn't planned on taking any but yer right, I suppose I should! I'll try to get some up this afternoon after I get home from work...cheers!

=8^)

Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Yeah buddy, Custom Dynamics is an outstanding company to work with. I have their LEDs on my Softail and will soon add them to my Sporty as well. They offer the best quality products, customer service, and warranty available!
Dude, it hadn't been much more than 10 minutes after I clicked "order" when I received a phone call from a nice young lady [well, she sounded young anyway, must be my overactive imagination[?], LOL] from Custom Dynamics asking me to confirm a choice I made in my order; they make a "Dynamic Cluster" tail light which has an amber outer ring and a two power red center cluster, which, as having this third circuit, requires a separate splice into the taillight wiring. I had decided against this in my head but my fingers didn't cooperate on the order form[!], and promptly informed her that no, it wasn't my intention to do so and to please correct my order to the simple red's, and boom, seconds later it was all done. She informed me that as a result of the change there was a $12 difference in the final payment, which was then reflected in an e-mail I quickly received by another staff member, to ultimately be credited back to me no problemo. kEwL...

So yeah, Custom Dynamics' are alright in my book too...the quality of their product seems to be great, their warranty is bangin', and their prompt and courteous customer service is great as well!

Now if any of you guy/gals are on the fence about swapping over to LED's now's the time to get the f off and do it!! Yer bike'll love you for it, you'll have a brighter and more noticeable presence on the road, and you'll be getting lots of comments on how nice your bike looks with those cool lights...

=8^)

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Dude, it hadn't been much more than 10 minutes after I clicked "order" when I received a phone call from a nice young lady [well, she sounded young anyway, must be my overactive imagination[?], LOL] from Custom Dynamics asking me to confirm a choice I made in my order; they make a "Dynamic Cluster" tail light which has an amber outer ring and a two power red center cluster, which, as having this third circuit, requires a separate splice into the taillight wiring. I had decided against this in my head but my fingers didn't cooperate on the order form[!], and promptly informed her that no, it wasn't my intention to do so and to please correct my order to the simple red's, and boom, seconds later it was all done. She informed me that as a result of the change there was a $12 difference in the final payment, which was then reflected in an e-mail I quickly received by another staff member, to ultimately be credited back to me no problemo. kEwL...

So yeah, Custom Dynamics' are alright in my book too...the quality of their product seems to be great, their warranty is bangin', and their prompt and courteous customer service is great as well!

Now if any of you guy/gals are on the fence about swapping over to LED's now's the time to get the f off and do it!! Yer bike'll love you for it, you'll have a brighter and more noticeable presence on the road, and you'll be getting lots of comments on how nice your bike looks with those cool lights...

=8^)
Yea man, I followed your advice two weeks ago and did the same set up, except I went smoked. Bright as can be. Major improvement front and back. And custom dynamics had my stuff within two days

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
smoOve
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write up! The rings are next on my list

Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by DrewBone
I see you got the Moon Shinez solid white fronts...man, they gotta' be brighter than hades compared to my Dynamic Ringz! When I was going through my decision stage [I do this with most everything, 'very annoying, LOL] I thought about getting those but I thought the 'ringz would be different, sorta' like angel eyes, so I got them instead. I'm sure I would've been satisfied either way! Glad you like your setup too, and thanks for posting the pics. Oh and I forgive you for getting the smoked lens'

=8^)
Hummm.... I got the GEN200-KIT-1157 with the Dynamic Ringz™

Maybe the brightness of the photo??

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics LED report...