Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED report...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Hummm.... I got the GEN200-KIT-1157 with the Dynamic Ringz™

Maybe the brightness of the photo??
'Must be like you said 'w, the brightness of the photo?! I think you have a point there, because when I look at mine from a certain angle they DO look solid! And when I crank up the high beem on my PIAA headlight holy crap the combination is @!#$'ing bright!! 'Still can't believe what a difference there is between them and the incandescents...my hat's off to the individual who posted about these lights a few months back!

=8^)

Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Dude, it hadn't been much more than 10 minutes after I clicked "order" when I received a phone call from a nice young lady [well, she sounded young anyway, must be my overactive imagination[?], LOL] from Custom Dynamics asking me to confirm a choice I made in my order; they make a "Dynamic Cluster" tail light which has an amber outer ring and a two power red center cluster, which, as having this third circuit, requires a separate splice into the taillight wiring. I had decided against this in my head but my fingers didn't cooperate on the order form[!], and promptly informed her that no, it wasn't my intention to do so and to please correct my order to the simple red's, and boom, seconds later it was all done. She informed me that as a result of the change there was a $12 difference in the final payment, which was then reflected in an e-mail I quickly received by another staff member, to ultimately be credited back to me no problemo. kEwL...

So yeah, Custom Dynamics' are alright in my book too...the quality of their product seems to be great, their warranty is bangin', and their prompt and courteous customer service is great as well!

Now if any of you guy/gals are on the fence about swapping over to LED's now's the time to get the f off and do it!! Yer bike'll love you for it, you'll have a brighter and more noticeable presence on the road, and you'll be getting lots of comments on how nice your bike looks with those cool lights...

=8^)
They're great with their warranty as well. I had a few LEDs go out in my Tombstone array and called to inquire about repairing it. They asked me to just shoot a pic with my phone/camera and send it to them. They immediately just sent out a replacement unit and told me to keep the other as a back-up spare. Can't beat that kind of service.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Some pics as requested:

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 05-12-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Clear lenses do look nice... Nice looking ride you have there.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM
DUALLS
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bet they are super bright at night! Wonder how they work with the HD rear turn signals as brake lights module?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM
cbass68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moonshines vs rings

I have been looking into these and am a little confused. Granted I haven't called Custom Dynamics. No doubt they can clarify... What exactly is the difference between moonshines and the rings? The moonshines are full white until you turn, then they turn completely amber during turns...? Rings are white around the outside edge until you turn then flash amber in the center only? Zat right?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cbass68
I have been looking into these and am a little confused. Granted I haven't called Custom Dynamics. No doubt they can clarify... What exactly is the difference between moonshines and the rings? The moonshines are full white until you turn, then they turn completely amber during turns...? Rings are white around the outside edge until you turn then flash amber in the center only? Zat right?
Moon Shinez™ White LED Driving Lights/Turn Signals - they blink white

Dynamic Ringz™ Driving Lights & Turn Signals - they blink amber

Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbass68
I'm sorry, I think I'm the one who must have confused you, in my response to wachucko earlier in this thread as I was incorrect in the function of the Moon Shinez...so as he stated above, the Moon Shinez stay white for both running and turn functions, but the Dynamic Ringz have a white outer ring [but as noted they look fully lit when observed from a certain angle and in photos due to their brightness] in running mode which are then completely deactivated when in turning mode to allow the center cluster of LED's to turn amber and shine alone. The reason for this is explained below, copied directly from the Custom Dynamics site:

FMCSA Standard No 108 #5 States " If optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated."

It's like the signals you see on the newer high end cars today, with those white LED strips built into the headlights...the white lights go off when the turn signal is applied, then go back on when the turn signals go off.

Sorry for the confusion!

=8^)

Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wachuko
Clear lenses do look nice... Nice looking ride you have there.
Yep, I'm really really glad I got the clear lenses, as they make the lights almost disappear when not in use by blending in with the bike pretty well, and for letting all that crisp light come out totally unhindered!! And thanks man for the nice comments, I appreciate it! Ride safe!!

=8^)

Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Luckyme1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the same package, but with smoked lenses. Very nice improvement. I first made the mistake of ordering the amber rear turns, forgetting the dealer had installed a brake light modulator with the OEM red turns as running lights. Oops, the amber on all the time is a no-no. So Custom Dynamics exchanged the amber for red, no problem. They are a great company to deal with.

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics LED report...